Arms Locker banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I've never used anything but 7.5's in 223. They came highly recommended, worked great, so I never looked into primers any further. I'll push the loads to a grain or so over "max" in the loading manuals, for rifles. .5 grain in pistols, with the slower burning powders. With the really lw bullets, 50-70 grs in 9mm or. 45, with the huge hoillowbase cavities, you have to use so much Bullseye, just to get the slide to cycle reliably, that it freaks out people who "think" that they know something about reloading. I mean 6-7 grs of BE in a 9mm, 12-13 grs in a .45. Gotta have a fully-supported barrel and tough, thick brass cases, tho. I had loads that were perfectly safe in a p35, blow cases every time, fired in a Taurus copy of the Beretta. Badly unsupported at the feed ramp. I welded it up and recut it for optimal support, still bulged those cases badly.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Honestly gunkid, all these weird and wonderful loads you keep coming up with tells me one thing: they are labor intensive to make which means you are NOT a high volume shooter! So you are telling us that your experience is minimal.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Honestly gunkid, all these weird and wonderful loads you keep coming up with tells me one thing: they are labor intensive to make which means you are NOT a high volume shooter! So you are telling us that your experience is minimal.
I feel that is a bit presumptuous of a conclusion from the stated "labor intensive" angle. Remember, sometimes I weigh charges on a microgram scale and I filter my powder.

I have made some niche tools to make certain things go faster though.

Developing cool loads and having fun with the process is worth it to me. For the most part, there's only an economical advantage to loading 300WM and 338LM or obscure match loads for me anymore given the cost in time.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
One of the nice things about retirement is that I not only have time to attend more matches, build more ammo but I have had time to experiment in .32-40 & 6.5x55mm. For the last 2 months I have spent 2 days a week looking for the ultimate accurate load for my 2 particular rifles. When I find it, it will be a standard load that I can crank out easily. I also enjoy running .400 CorBon through my .45 but I realize that is a labor intensive load so I probably only shoot about 200 rds through it every 2 years. To load any more would mean that I have to cut time for more important projects.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
One of the nice things about retirement is that I not only have time to attend more matches, build more ammo but I have had time to experiment in .32-40 & 6.5x55mm. For the last 2 months I have spent 2 days a week looking for the ultimate accurate load for my 2 particular rifles. When I find it, it will be a standard load that I can crank out easily. I also enjoy running .400 CorBon through my .45 but I realize that is a labor intensive load so I probably only shoot about 200 rds through it every 2 years. To load any more would mean that I have to cut time for more important projects.
You largely reflect my ambitions of what retirement should be.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
I'm in my 5th month of retirement and my only regret is that with all the shooting & reloading I've been doing, I don't have time to hit the golf course!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts