Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ammunition availablility for the Beowulf has turned out to be a very contradictory situation......lots of postings all over from people who find it(though most are paying gougers prices it seems), but generally it seems to be a few boxes here and there. Anybody out there having a different experience?I'm on several waiting lists. I'm more than happy to go the reloading route, just don't want to sink any more cash into the enterprise unless I know I can actually end up with some brass first. The supposed availibilty was the determining factor between .458 Socom/.50 Beowulf....haha...oh well , may end up selling the upper if this continues much longer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
brass it is..

To answer my own post...Starline brass has some in stock, guess the redding dies are next.:sidestep:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope you grabbed some while it was available, they're out of stock now. On the other hand, Alexander Arms finally shipped the 100 cases I ordered in April 2009...

I'm planning to load some cast bullets as well as jacketed. Lee makes a .500" 360-grain hollow base Minie ball mould. That came in after a mere five months back-order. Fortunately I already have powder and primers. The post-election buying frenzy has been a hassle.

The parent case for the Beowulf is the 11.2x72 Schuler, from 1907. You have to turn the rim down from .30-06 size to x39 size and lop off the extra length. Not too hard, other than Schuler cases run $4 each...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did , shoulda got 500 vs 250 , and I still haven't received my A-Arms ordered with the upper. I loaded 300 grn Gold Dots, 375 grn XPB's, and some
500 grn flat nose XPS's- using RL7/4227.
The Barnes XPB's , I need to seat a bit deeper(the die was set up for the XPS, so the difference in ogive left em long) , but it will be a compressed load(36 grns RL7) so I'll run a few individually first, watch for pressure signs,
than push em down to mag length.
Interesting case info. though.
DJ

Attachments

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I was thinking about building either a beowulf or socom for my next AR build. Now I'm looking at the 50 bushmaster as well.

I was leaning towards the 458 - but availability of brass and components has me hesitating at this point.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ammunition availablility for the Beowulf has turned out to be a very contradictory situation......lots of postings all over from people who find it(though most are paying gougers prices it seems), but generally it seems to be a few boxes here and there. Anybody out there having a different experience?I'm on several waiting lists. I'm more than happy to go the reloading route, just don't want to sink any more cash into the enterprise unless I know I can actually end up with some brass first. The supposed availibilty was the determining factor between .458 Socom/.50 Beowulf....haha...oh well , may end up selling the upper if this continues much longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts