Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing with this thing, hog leg, black powder ball shooter thingy, and I never could get it to group. well I finaly got a hold of my problem accidentally.
Rifles have a big long ram rod with significant mass to seat ball without a great del of stress.
BUT.
This damn pistola, I have ram rod I made out of a Chevy pushrod, with a copper balljag/ball seater on one end, the wood one was a joke.
Any how I found that I wasn't getting the ball seated tight enough.
I found if I dropped that rod 50 times the ball would seat, rods too light.
So I melted some lead and I filled that push rod full. Now I will see what happens.
This gun is Patch Picky too.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
lol You made a ramrod out of a pushrod?? That's novel.

The only BP pistols I've played with were cap and ball revolvers....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used a valve guide out of a Briggs and Straton and pressed it onto the end of the Chevy Push rod, chucked the rod in a drill and with a 3 corner file made a patch jag, then with a 1/2 dome shaped die grinder bit chucked in a vise I made a bowl in the end to fit on the ball.
Works great for both, just wasn't getting that ball tight enough. I thought I was though.

The thing is a riot, it tears things up when you shoot em.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I have a kentucky flintlock pistol I shoot No.6 bird shot out of it. Works like a mini sawed off shotgun.......

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
fffg i bet the 50 to 60 rockwell pushrod will do wonders for your 30-34 rockwell mild steel barrel. :cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
And he is bouncing it in and out of the barrel 50 times just to seat the ball.

That is silly as hell. You get a good thick ram rod that is long enough for you to get hold of and you seat the ball on the powder ONE time and then you are done.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cornbread2 said:
And he is bouncing it in and out of the barrel 50 times just to seat the ball.

That is silly as hell. You get a good thick ram rod that is long enough for you to get hold of and you seat the ball on the powder ONE time and then you are done.
Sorry, I will try to leave the sarcasm out.
sarcasm

S'ARCASM, n. l. sarcasmus; Gr. from to deride or sneer at, primarily to fly or pluck off the skin.

A keen reproachful expression; a satirical remark or expression, uttered with some degree of scorn or contempt; a taunt; a gibe. Of this we have an example in the remark of the Jews respecting Christ, on the cross, "He saved others, himself he cannot save."

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
neolithic hunter said:
fffg i bet the 50 to 60 rockwell pushrod will do wonders for your 30-34 rockwell mild steel barrel. :cool:

The push rod never touches the barrel, the B&S valve guide gets all the wear, thanks for the tip though.
I made it short enough that it is flush with the barrel when stored in the gun. I then threaded the inside to 1/4-20 and have a built in extenstion for a handle if needed.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
fffg100grns said:
What are you using for a wad?
I make my own out of poster board and felt. Poster board wad over powder then felt lubricated with a tad of Crisco.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gunners762 said:
I make my own out of poster board and felt. Poster board wad over powder then felt lubricated with a tad of Crisco.
OK NOW, one more question, what holds the shot in place so it don't fall out?

Yall got me started.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
fffg100grns said:
OK NOW, one more question, what holds the shot in place so it don't fall out?

Yall got me started.
Just place another piece of card board over shot.My brother used tissue paper with the flint pistol he bought. We purchased the matching pair for $40 each and no makers marks are present.Probably some kit guns? They are smooth bore. We decided to try shot in them one day just for fun becuase of a story our grandfather told us when he was a boy living in west virginia.He had said in the early 1920's alot of old timers then mostly rail road workers still carried cap-n-ball revolvers and that his grandfather used to carry a double percussion shotgun with him everyplace he went.He had said the old man would walk everyplace because he refused to ride in a car. And didn't like to ride the horse because he fall of it drunk. He said he liked to walk the tracks to town but you had to watch out for the vagrants/hobo's because they robbed people and the old man would shoot them if they tried. My grandfathers story about his grandfather was that one day pop discharged the shotgun to make sure the powder was not damp.After doing so relised he was out of shot. So he went down to the creek and got him some silt/sand and dried it out and used that for shot. My grandfather told me at the time you had to order shot and powder no quik trip to the local store. And the old man wasn't going to the gin joint as my granfather called it unarmed.Since my brother and I was not keen on the pebble idea we decided on the shot. NOW BOYS AND GIRLS DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! COULD GETS YA A OUCHY!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts