Arms Locker banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
What you need to do, Brass, is grease that cylinder pin a little better.

I've used Crisco in the past, but a better option would be the TC Bore Butter.

Once the grease is gone, the cylinder doesn't want to spin.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
'i' copy BRO!,,,as 'i've in extended shooting 'rolled the cylinder' out and "spackled the center-pin with my 'C.V.A. patch-grease'[?,,,,please don't make me MAKE THE "LONG WALK" to the GARAGE/BEER-FRIDGE,,,fer' verifcation,,,DAMN-IT}
:dgrin:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can shoot heave loads of FF or FFF all day long without cleaning between shots and the last shot loads as easy as the first. I have shot a full lb of powder in one day and the rifle never gets hard to load.

I use panther piss for my patch lube.

Panther piss is a concoction some buckskinners came up with.

Mix three Pt's peroxide, three Pt's rubbing alcohol, and two Pt's Murphy's Oil Soap in a dark container. You need a container that light can't get through. I use an antifreeze jug.

This is by far the best cleaner for blackpowder ever made. It makes the best patch lube for constant shooting you can find.

You can't hunt with it because it will dry out but for a long days shooting it can't be beat.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Flinter said:
Thanks Gunner.

That's my workhorse.

Hey Gunner.........are you a member of the Boyertown Rod and Gun club? I've got a friend up that way, he's always talking about it.
My uncle and other family members are. I go up when my uncle ask me to shoot.I also shoot at pikeville and french creek.Most of the time I shoot a 160 acre farm or out back behind my house. Boyertown is a nice range and secluded. I live a few minutes away.Sorry I didn't reply sooner I didn't see your post!!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I got two Hawkins, short one with 28 inch launch tube, 1 in 66 rinkle, I load 90 grns of fffg behind a patched ball lubed with Bore Butter, My boy can still see good enough and can hit a beer can at 100 yards near every shot.
Now I can shoot it 35 times, then I gotta do a spit swab.

Then I got this other one thats got a 34 inch bbl, and the boy don;t shoot it.
I could hit a 5 gal bucket at 250 yards 3 out of 10 shots years ago. It likes 100grns fffg and I have to spit swab after every shot.
I would be willing to loose distance on that gun for accuracy, I cant hit a coffee can at 50 yards any more, it just lost its accuracy, and I can't see so good no more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got a .50 Hawken replica that I built(assembled) some 15 years back, (it's in the showcase now). I would always shoot 100 grains in it, (yeah, it kicked like a mule). I also had a japanese powder measure, (100g in it measured 125g in a CVA measure). That hawken could knock my 300 lb buddy on his butt! :laugh:
He kept tryin' to tell me I was holdin' the rifle wrong!
Loved that rifle for all around cheap powder hunting reliability.

Flinter, Some good stuff here about the era powder hunters/soldiers!
I think you said never use petroleum type cleaning solutions. Maybe I missed it but what do you use to clean the bore?
That "panther pee" sounds kinda scary!

Basketcase

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
basketcase said:
I think you said never use petroleum type cleaning solutions. Maybe I missed it but what do you use to clean the bore?
That "panther pee" sounds kinda scary!

Basketcase
The National Muzzleloading Association did a study on just that a few years ago. They found that nothing cleaned any better than plain, luke warm tapwater. Other products cleaned as well, but nothing cleaned any better.

I've been cleaning my guns with plain water for almost 20 years now. I see no reason to change.

BTW, a guy on another forum did a test with bare metal. He burnt powder in different spots and then splashed them with various cleaning agents. T/C Number 13 bore cleaner rusted faster than the spot where he just left the powder residue sit. Leave that stuff on Walmarts shelf.

Make sure you dry well. That's just as important as the cleaning.

·
Registered
27 Posts
50 Hawken

Flinter,

Thanks, the #13 is probably why I've had to order a new bore for my .50 cal. :headbang:

And I can see it now, me yelling to the wife...
"honey can you run to the store for more beer, your brother's coming over"

As I scramble to the bath tub with the .50 :laugh:

Seems like I remember blueing my first .50 there many years ago. :rolleyes:

Basketcase

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i clean my bp pistols in a galvinised bucket it the bath tub with plane ols soap and hot water. i clean my bp rofles out of the stock in the bath tub the same way. then i pour bolling water over them and let them dry then oil them none have had any rust form the powder or solvents in over 20 yrs. now they both have gotten a little rust from negelecting them in between shooting them. :cool:

·
Registered
334 Posts
i clean my bp pistols in a galvinised bucket it the bath tub with plane ols soap and hot water. i clean my bp rofles out of the stock in the bath tub the same way. then i pour bolling water over them and let them dry then oil them none have had any rust form the powder or solvents in over 20 yrs. now they both have gotten a little rust from negelecting them in between shooting them. :cool:

Me too, no rust only mine are 25 years old.

IF and when I ever get my 50 done I will post a pic, but I have only been shooting it for 20 years and I still got more furniture work needs done.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts