Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a chance to fire the .500 S&W at our outdoor police range earlier today. A friend and I were banging away with our 8MM "trash" when, at a cease fire a gentleman asked if he could take a look at our rifles. When firing resumed I let him fire a clip from my M48A. He invited us down to his firing point and told us to "take a couple of whacks" with his brand new Smith & Wesson .500. I took up what I thought was a fairly solid Weaver, and touched one off. WHOOOM!! I barely kept the sights out of my forehead. Talk about kick! I unloaded it and my friend stepped up for a shot. Looking from the outside, so to speak, as he shot it came back and up almost to the point of lost control. Hulk Hogan on his best day could not have got a follow up shot. On the way home he asked me what I thought about it and I said I'd get back to him after I soaked my hand in ice. Well, he called me just a bit ago and told me that his information said the energy transfer to game with the .500 cartridge would be about the same as a 30/30 at 75 yards. I told him he must be wrong. He insisted that a 275 Grain Bullet, which I think we were firing, at the muzzle only obtains 1750FPS, while the 30/30 170 Grain, is moving out at 2400FPS, therfore is actually more efficient. If true, I have not researched it, why pack a 4 1/2lb. revolver, when a 30/30 Carbine strikes the same blow at MUCH improved accuracy?

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Now I REALLY like big caliber guns like that, but quite honestly the .500 is just a bit over the edge for my tastes. I have an AMT in .50AE and this is about the limits of what I want to shoot in a handgun. Anytime you say a prayer for your wrist as you are pulling the trigger, it's time to back off a bit......

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Cor-Bon's 3 loads:
275gr Barnes X
Velocity 1665fps
Energy 1688ft/lbs

400gr JSP
Velocity 1675fps
Energy 2500ft/lbs

440gr HC Cast Performance
Velocity 1625fps
Energy 2580ft/lbs

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The Casull and the 500 S&W are awfully heavy for me and the recoil really whacks. I would have to choose the 30-30 or the 6.5x54 Mannlicher. About as light and easier on the body.

RIKA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.