Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
using a hollowbased, solid tin cast swc, 60 gr wt. The 105 gr swc mold from Lee is intended for use in a 38 Smith and Wesson. Cast out of "non lead" solder, it weighs 75 grs.

60 grs, sized .356", 7.5 grs of Bullseye gets 2000 fps. It needs to be sized .357", even tho it's to be used in a 9mm barrel, so that it builds a bit more bore friction, chamber pressure and velocity. The bullet has to be "loaded out" a bit on the "long" side of OAL, and then used with 8.0 grs of Bullseye. Then it will deliver 2100 fps in a 4" 9x19 barrel. A lw Commander will feed this bullet and OAL just fine, but my experience with P35 Brownings says that those guns probably will have trouble feeding it. With the .100" longer case of the 356 TSW, the stubbiness of the bullet is not as big an issue.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I checked my reloading notes, I am currently making major power with 5.8 gr. of bullseye pushing a 185 gr. FMJHB thru a 45 gov't model (5" Barrel). It cycles just fine. I have had zero FTF/FTE in literally thousands of rounds both with the load mentioned and factory 230 gr bullets. Why will 6 gr. of Bullseye not cycle your 9 mm? Is the slide bent, or the frame's rails? Admittedly, Bullseye is not the cleanest burning powder, perhaps there is a build-up of residue in the weapon you mention, slowing the cycle.
SatCong

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not feasible to keep cast bullets to Plus ormninus 1 gr

bullet wt.Merechanges in the "mix' of tin and antimony or tiny changes in how well filledoutthe corners of the mold are, temperature of the mold and alloy, can cause such variances. It takes special cutters and holding fixtures to keep the wts within Plus or minus 1 gr, with the 3 machining operations of hollowpointing the bullet, hollowbasing of the bullet, and the deepening andwidening of the grease groove (in preparation formaking the Split Nose, 3 segment prefrag) So in the end, the bullets are plus or minus 2 grs from a "norm". This and the nose slit mean that a gun that groups 2" at 25m with its best ammo will "only" group 5-6" with the 2100+ fps Split Nose loads.

Some of this comes from the very high velocity, which causes a bit of "stripping' of the bullet inthe barrel, some from the of course not perfect concentricity of the hollowbase and hollowpoint, and some from the too-rapid spinning of the bullet, a by product of the very high velocity. Still, the Glasers and Mag Safes typically group even WORSE, and as the range lengthens, THOSE prefrags get even worse. The large, deep hollowbase of the Split Nose makes the bullet "nose heavy", which tends to help accuracy quite a bit.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well I confess to being ignorant about more things than not, but what does any of that have to do with the 9mm weapon's failure to cycle with 6 grains of bullseye pushing the bullet, I would think the lighter bullet would acheive velocity faster, yes, but that should be enough powder in a 9 case to cycle any weapon.
SatCong

1 - 5 of 5 Posts