Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and it's just a stupid waste of carry capacity. I'd much rather have another 3 lbs of USEFUL gear, or even just water. I'd greatly prefer, however, to just be that much more able to MOVE, by having 3 lbs less in the kit. Stupidity like this is almost always carried over into other gear, so the diff in gear wt is more like 20 lbs, too. NOBODY is 40% better able to run and fight than any decently fit man is. They are lucky to be 10% fitter, actually. The law of diminishing returns sees to that. A 70 lb load is many times more likely to cause an injury, illness or mistake than is a 50 lb load. Many guys are 210 lbs, when they should be 160 lbs, by their height and build. They are ALREADY carrying around 50 lbs of blubber.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Sounds like you need to do more pushups and maybe lift a few weights.

NEVER skimp on the bang.

BTW, in my gunbelt and LBV combined I don't carry 6 spare 8rnd M1911 mags, I carry 8 spares: 2 on the holster, 2 on the belt, and 4 on the vest.

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
Weight is only a consideration if you choose to do something stupid like hump a ruck right off the bat. Excess gear can be cached in stages if you have even cared to plan in detail.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Sounds like you need to do more pushups and maybe lift a few weights.

NEVER skimp on the bang.

BTW, in my gunbelt and LBV combined I don't carry 6 spare 8rnd M1911 mags, I carry 8 spares: 2 on the holster, 2 on the belt, and 4 on the vest.
It's clear he has never done any serious backpacking, nor has he ever had a proper backpack. He also has no idea about how real life works and how plans seldom go exactly as expected. He has some weird ideas about using a .22 unit for fighting, and that a suppressor will render him invisible and invulnerable to incoming fire.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Melvin, if you were really a real outdoorsman you wouldn't have had a poorly adjusted, fitted and weighted training pack like you bitched about in another thread.
You know the one where that ALICE pack was slapping against your tailbone like bubba in the prison shower room.

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
As we get older we will tend to use other means of travel other than humping a ruck, alternate methods of travel easily widen the volume of gear that can be carried.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
As we get older we will tend to use other means of travel other than humping a ruck, alternate methods of travel easily widen the volume of gear that can be carried.
So true. Rucking it should be further down the list than number one…

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
Why, for over a quarter of a century, have some people still professed that humping a ruck, is the only way to go?

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I've not a clue other than many must have been renters or city preppers of sorts with not enough resources for a prepared BOL nor the ability to live on site.
I hate to say this but a friend of mine and his dad constantly entertain that "I'm going to travel up to them. To help them defend the house." Bull shit fantasy. They are more than welcome to load up the trucks hitch the trailer and attempt the trip down to me.
No way am I going to freaking Lowell Arkansas through the outskirts of Fayetteville and Springdale on my own to end up at the literal Alamo with no water and no heat for winter once the gas lines are down. That faux fireplace is worthless.
Really a fantasy of theirs sadly.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Yeah I know almost beyond words and common sense.

It's sad in that both have a crap ton of real world experience in their respective areas.
Just in the last few years they have not been thinking about how things have changed where they live.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Why, for over a quarter of a century, have some people still professed that humping a ruck, is the only way to go?
Absolutely convinced that they say it because they don’t actually do it. I’ve worn my hard armor in the woods as recently as this past winter (various hunting seasons with too many trigger-happy loontards in the woods), but I’m absolutely NOT going to wear it - or a loaded backpack - anymore than necessary. To have that as your “Plan A” is a bad idea even if you’re young. To say it’s your “Plan A” when you’re weeks away from your 69th birthday is a sign that you’re either lying, deluded, or both.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts