Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned both calibers in the past and shot Deer with both. The 6mm was a Remington 742 I got for an excellent price at an auction. The 243 was in a Browning Lever (short, light and really pretty). No problem getting ammo for the 243 I could even get Fed Premiums from a few different gun shops. The 6 mm on the other hand was a real pain in the ass. I had to order ammo most of the time (did find the odd box here and there). Performance should be pretty close between both rounds if you take into account 22" tube on the semi auto with a higher mv round, vs. a 20 inch barrel and a round with about 200 fps less mv.

Honestly I don't put solid faith in factory ballistics charts; they are a good guide but not etched in stone. I never got to use a chrony to see what each was doing for speed. Best I could figure is that they were both pretty close to each other (velocity and energy). Both of them killed deer if I made a proper shot. The 6mm I found killed deer better than the 243 and the difference was quite noticeable, at least in my eyes. Both rifles were about the same accuracy wise and easy to shoot. Deer shot with the 6mm went down and stayed down just like turning off a switch. A couple of deer shot at close range with the 243 made a few jumps twitched bounced around and such. This reminds me of the 308, 30-06 comparisons. It could be just a personal perception thing, then again it might not be.

Has anyone here had experience with both? I would love to hear some feedback of your thoughts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I tried both calibers years ago. They were roughly equivalent. For me the .243 Winchester was the best. Slightly more accurateand ammunition widely avaiable
My current .243 is a Winchester Model 70 Heavy Barrel with a 3X-9X variable scope. Very accurate particularly with 100 frain boat tail bullets.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The .243 is my favorite also.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
The 6MM Remington was the old 244 Remington with a faster twist to the barrel.

The 6MM was a good cartridge, slightly faster than the .243 Winchester. By the time the 6MM Remington came out, the .243 just had to much of a lead on the 6MM, in hunters affections.

I have a .243 Winchester myself, and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
both a big waste of time and money. Neither will do what the 223 and 308 will do, which is, be available by the thousands of rds, at 15c a shot. If the 223-22 aint enough, 308 aint too much. Since the 243 is pretty light even for deer, and way too much for most varmints, it's just another half assed cartridge in the middle, existing merely because of the ignorance of most gunowners.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy said:
both a big waste of time and money. Neither will do what the 223 and 308 will do, which is, be available by the thousands of rds, at 15c a shot. If the 223-22 aint enough, 308 aint too much. Since the 243 is pretty light even for deer, and way too much for most varmints, it's just another half assed cartridge in the middle, existing merely because of the ignorance of most gunowners.
The .243 has too much recoil for you, doesn't it GK.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
andy said:
Thus speaks, NUTTY JOHN -- not quiet an oracle -- not quiet on a high mountain.

Give it a break TARD, you're totally unqualified to comment.

For varmint shooting on windy days, the .243 Winchester and the .25-06, are some of the best that can be had.

You lose again TARD ...

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
The .243 has more reach than the .223. It has more energy than the .223

It is a great coyote, javelina, and coues deer gun.

Once again, Scarecrow shows why he needs a brain.

:devil:

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I can't remember..... somebody PLEASE tell me why the military is considering dropping the .223 in favor of the 6.8 SPC...... ;)

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Rich Z said:
I can't remember..... somebody PLEASE tell me why the military is considering dropping the .223 in favor of the 6.8 SPC...... ;)
So you can reach out and touch someone, farther away ... So those you do touch, stay down ...

Reactions: Aslan

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
andy said:

Darn I have to agree with you on that. The .24's will reach a lot farther than a .223 and have a lot more stink at any range then the 223.

Well if the 223 aint enough the .24's might just be the ticket(depending on what you need to do) The 308 is another step ahead of the 24's(a large step) . Considering deer in North America vary greatly in size from north to south. The 24's can be just right to not enough.I would much rather shoot varmints with a 24 when shots are on the long side and wind is a factor.

I figure you have the inside line on half assed cartridges and ignorance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
andy said:
i might not have much say so on this forum but i do when it comes to hunting. as long as the shot placement is right then it doesnt matter which catridge u use. ive seen 200lbs deer drop from a shoulder shot from a 223. ive also seen a 120lbs doe run a 100yrds shot in the heart from a 180grain 300wthymag bullet. the 243 is a verry good gun. ive seen even elk taken with it. and now with the 50grain bullet for it, it is by far a better varmiter than the 223.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts