Arms Locker banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a picture of the little piggie I shot today (images 1). It went over an estimated 350 pounds. The shield on this boar was impressive (image 2). The part that amazed me was that I harvested it with a 7.62x39 Remington Pointed Soft Point (Core Lokt) from about 20 yards away, and it fell down in its tracks dead immediately. The round penetrated very well and mushroomed almost perfectly (images 3 and 4). That little cartridge put the bullet through the shield broadside, through the ribs and 2+ inches of fat, destroyed the lungs, went out through the fat, ribs, and right shoulder blade, through the shield again and almost, but not quite broke the skin on the opposite side. When hit, the boar just laid down right there dead and twitched.

I've always considered the 7.62x39 to be an awesome round for close, quick, hunting for anyone and a great round for small framed and young shooters. I may have still been under-estimated it. Looking at what it did this heavy-bodied boar, I would have no qualms shooting it into a deer or typical-sized sows out to 200 yards. Too bad my SKS isn't accurate enough for hunting past 100 yards or so.
KJ

Attachments

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Yep, those el cheapo bullets really do work as long as you can put them where they need to be. I've had great performance from their .45-70 SPs.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
CorBon's 150 gr sp is supposedly 2400 fps, which is a complete equal to the 150 gr 30-30 performance. Many guys have taken boars with 9mm, .45 pistols, so there's no reason that a rifle with 3-4 times as much power wouldn't do a fine job.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
As I recall,the last guy I heard of dropping a boar with .45acp,was using hardcast sec(mold type unknown to me),bout 1000fps with 200grainers.I don't think he actually meant to do it,as he blundered onto tje boars hidey-hole and suddenly found one pi$$ed off piggy going full tilt boogie right at him.His prayers were answered(and no doubt he needed a change of shorts afterwards).
Me?I'd be WAY too chicken to screw with boars without enough gun;MAN those things are scary.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only problem, and a warning here, is that the entrance wound bled NONE even with the heart not being damaged and the hog lying were it fell for a while. And exit wound would have helped a LOT if the animal would have had to be tracked. The entrance wound was very small and the copious amounts of fat basically sealed the wound so that the animal didn't seem to drop any blood at all. If the animal would have been slightly smaller or had a slightly thinner shield, I'm pretty sure the bullet would have exited nicely.

As we all know, animals don't always lay over dead where they are shot even with perfect shot placement, so considerations to the potential to blood trail an injured animal are ALWAYS important.

KJ

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Nice Going! The 7.62 X 39 has more punch than people give it credit for, also more range. At the DNR deer registration point they were talking about some 16 yeard old that dropped an eight pointer at a measured 216 yards with a 'scoped SKS.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the gun suprised me with how well it performed. I still wouldn't shoot a large animal with one over 75 yards, but I WAS very impressed. A nice bolt action 7.62x39 is likely an awesome "kids gun" and would the hell out of any .223 for kids trying to deer hunt.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Don't know how I missed this thread. Good going KJUN. :beer: Despite being a cartridge used by "ignorant third world ricers" it has a lot going for it. Course its always the man behind the gun that makes it work. Even a 600 Nitro won't work if he flinches off the shot.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Congrats........on killing one UGLY animal! :nyah:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
wow, i didn't see this one either. that's about as good as you can expect as far as bullet performance without core/jacket separation.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Rika took several pigs with 223, but she now won't mention it, since 223's just bounce off of all the he-men on this site, it couldn't possibly have happened the way she remembers it.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy said:
Rika took several pigs with 223, but she now won't mention it, since 223's just bounce off of all the he-men on this site, it couldn't possibly have happened the way she remembers it.
I took pigs with .45acp, 7.62x25 Tokarev and 9mm Luger but you conveniently forget that too andy.

RIKA :nyah:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
andy said:

Ayup Takes a REAL Man to keep going after a woman Melvin...no less than what i've come to expect from the likes of You.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
no, i didn't, but what does it MATTER? Just shows pigs aint NEARLY as tough as all the "he men" want everyone to believe. :) Pigs don't amount to a hill of beans. I once, age 16, jumped into a fight between a couple of 700 lb herd boars, with nothing more than 3 ft of 2x4.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Then why bring up pigs in the first place?

RIKA

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
RIKA said:
Then why bring up pigs in the first place?

RIKA
I assume it's some thinly veiled insult pertaining to my career Rika..but, as usual Melvin's a day late and a dollar short, mainly becuase for an insult to work, one has to actually consider the opinion of the source to be valid.

·
Registered
880 Posts
andy said:
no, i didn't, but what does it MATTER? Just shows pigs aint NEARLY as tough as all the "he men" want everyone to believe. :) Pigs don't amount to a hill of beans. I once, age 16, jumped into a fight between a couple of 700 lb herd boars, with nothing more than 3 ft of 2x4.
And the audiance just knods their heads and whispers about the cape. :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts