Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on another board and read a post stating that there is a difference between 7.62X51 and .308. I do not own a weapon chambered in either of these but was under the impression that they are one and the same round. I was under the impression that the two were the NATO and civilian designations, respectively, of the same round.

Is there a difference other than the designation and if so, what is it please?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Darkwolf. This answers the question well for me. Now here is another one. Outside of military applications, is the the 7.62 NATO chambering available in rifles for civilian sale?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Thanks Darkwolf. This answers the question well for me. Now here is another one. Outside of military applications, is the the 7.62 NATO chambering available in rifles for civilian sale?
I guess its only commercial availability to civilians comes from military style firearms. A cross between the 7.62x51 NATO chamber and .308 Match throats is used in many different ".308" weapons. The more mature designs of the AR-10 / Mk11 and some M1As use a certain specification, the M21/25 and M24 shared (at one point) one optimized for 168gr rounds (IIRC, it may have been M118 in general though. Unalist may clarify?), and if I'm not mistaken the M24 and M40 presently have an improved chambering for the M118LR. In all instances, this is to optimize the weapon for the dynamics of "match grade" 7.62x51 (such as M118LR). High quality .308 Match such as FGMM or BH will typically work fine in these weapons regardless.

Hunting ammunition for the .308 isn't intended to function quite the way 7.62x51 is. As 308 Win is technically ballistically superior there's no reason to make a 7.62x51 chambered hunting rifle as 7.62x51 really doesn't even promise any gains for such a purpose.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

Just to make sure I understood correctly. A 7.62X51 will chamber a .308 but is not designed to handle the potential pressures the .308 can generate. A .308 should not be capable of chambering the 7.62X51 becuse that round is slightly longer than the .308 but would handle the pressures generated just fine.

The some M1A's are actually chambered in 7.62X51 and it is unwise to feed them .308 ammo. There are some rifles including some M1A's that are properly designed to chamber and safely fire either round.

Did I get facts straight in this simplified version of the article and your info? Sorry to be such a pain. I just don't want to offer up bad info, especially if that info could get somebody hurt or killed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts