Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few tips to improve the accuracy of most .22LR rifles:

1) Try different brands of ammunition to find which shoot best. If the rifle maker also makes ammo, like Remington and Winchester, start with that brand. Odds are, the rifle development team used their own brand's ammo when they were finalizing the design. Also, check for ammo recommendations from the rifle maker.

2) If you prefer iron sights, make sure the rifle is fitted with good, easy-to-use sights. If you are older, or your eyes are not what you want them to be, use a peep sight. More specifically, try using a "ghost ring" peep sight with a square post front sight. Those little glowing plastic sights can work well for fast paced small game hunting.

3) Scope sights are the cat's pajamas for older or weaker eyes. Why? Because scopes allow the shooter to focus on both target and reticle at the same time. Oops, there is one big problem with scopes...parallax. Most centerfire rifle scopes are parallax free at 100-150 yards. For a .22LR you want a scope that's set to be parallax free at 50-75 yards, with 60 yards being a good choice.

4) The barrel. Don't worry, there's no problem here. Even the cheapest .22LR's should be able to shoot accurately. Just clean the bore! Remove leading as well as fouling and the barrel likely will be fine. Many competition and exhibition shooters have reported their barrels shot even better than new after firing 250,000 rounds of .22LR (probably due to polishing by the bullets).

5) A simple trigger job by a competent gunsmith can improve accuracy beyond your wildest dreams. If you plan to hunt with the rifle, don't go too low on the pull weight. If you go too low, you'll fire the shot too soon.

6) Stay away from thin, tall, or "see-through" scope mounts. If the mount can be visibly flexed with your fingers, replace it with a more rigid design. Coarse adjust or shim your scope so the scope is sighted when the elevation and windage are near the middle. Scopes at the end of their adjustment range often break bad.

7) Avoid "no name" scopes. If somebody tries to sell you an "unmarked" (insert famous scope brand here) run, don't walk, away. Those are almost always either cheap copies or factory seconds. Get a good scope. It doesn't have to cost a lot, but do get a brand of scope you trust. (One of the best scopes I have ever encountered was a $30 Simmons.) Favor repeatability over optical splendor. A scope that holds its zero through thick and thin is what your rifle needs. Leupold's rimfire scopes are good choices if you can spare the bux.

·
Registered
568 Posts
1- (a) You'll just have to shoot as many types as you can stand. I try to buy by the case (5K). Then start to tinker with your choices. Paco's Accurizer works well: http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm

3- (a) A scope like a Leupold 3x9 Compact AO will be a far more versital scope than an RF specific scope, and more desirable @ resale time. Although I did see a .22RF parallax specific scope that has a built in .22rf BDC retical that looked pretty cool! Now to remember where I saw it..?

4- (a) Not much need for copper solvent here. I have yet to "fire lap" a new bbl, or hand lap for that matter, but the principal applies to high volume shooting, if you keep the bore clean.

4- (b) The main attribute to accuracy is your chamber ("tight", match, benz)

5- (a) You can always "just throw money at it" and buy a TG2000 from Volq. But Power Custom trigger group parts replacements can get you more than half way there for less that 1/4 the $ of a TG2K. Easily self installed, 10/22 specific. But I swear I thought Power Custom has TG parts for the Marlin 25 and Rem 597?

7-(ditto) My Simmons 22Mag and 22Mag compact are awesome scopes "for the $". I liked the first one so much I just bought the compact and then "figured out" what to put it on. The only thing I would do is put on flip up scope caps and change out the Simmons rings for something a little nicer. Fit and function don't always = sleek and trim.

Great tips, GB!
anodes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.