Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
He’s good. I wouldn’t want to try the 90-yarder in a hunting situation.

Wish he’d say specifically what ammo he used. The “185 grain “ .45acp load looked like an xtp, but he doesn't say anything about +P or not. So one of the least-expanding JHP options at probably somewhere from 475-575 ft/lbs, and was more than adequate to instantly incapacitate an animal three times the size of a big human. I'd say that speaks to the effectiveness of the old cartridge, as long as the shooter does his part.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
We know it can be done with a handgun, but based on my past experience, I think I would prefer to stick with a rifle as it offers far more opportunities to put the animal down. Only once while pushing bush did I come within 10 yards of a Mulie with a gun in my hand. Unfortunately it was Duck season, not Deer season.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Yes, I'm very curious as to bullet brand and muzzle velocity of the .45ACP ammo in question.

As I'm wanting to set up the 1911 Range Officer up for a load for large and potentially dangerous game.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I knew I had a good reason for buying a Glock 21. Why bother with a Browning BAR .30/06 when I can carry a .45? Whitetails better watch out for me tomorrow!

Reactions: John in AR

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
I knew I had a good reason for buying a Glock 21. Why bother with a Browning BAR .30/06 when I can carry a .45? Whitetails better watch out for me tomorrow!
😁 I never tried handgun hunting until I was probably in my early 50's, and realized real quick that I just don't have the eyes for it anymore. Our state's silly "three-point rule" means you can shoot a male deer if it "has both antlers shorter than 2 inches (button buck) or have three or more points on one side of his rack".

So a completely antlerless buck is legal, a button-buck is legal (as long as they're both shorter than two inches), a spike buck becomes illegal when one spike reaches two inches long, a four-pointer is usually illegal, etc. So effectively the really small ones are legal, the really large ones are legal, the medium-small ones depend on spike length, the medium ones are usually illegal, and the medium-large ones depend on the point distribution.

I can't do all that counting and measuring real quick at much distance without an optic, so the last few years I hunted I didn't bother trying & just stuck with an optic-equipped gun. Just too many rules and too much penalty if you even accidentally break them. Doesn't matter now really; I don't hunt at all any more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts