Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
2,561 Posts
I've seen this previously.

And it's pretty promising to me. Ideally I can see a SBR in my future. So many different calibers and firearms so little time and space currently.

I'm thinking this would really fulfill Jeff Cooper's "Thumper" concept as éither a bolt action or self loading rifle.

I've got my own idea for a SBR build already if the components will mesh up together. Imagine a SBR/Pistol version of the Ruger in the link below in this new round.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Having just sold my 12 inched barreled bolt action 5.56 due to the felt pressure on firing and the amplified noise, because we can't have suppressors up here. Which would make a significant difference in the functionality to the rifle, plus I don't need another caliber at this time as it is all I can do to get out annually with all the other stuff I have.

·
Administrator
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not reject one if someone gave it to me, but I have enough calibers and rifles (maybe too many - got to hide this post from the wife)

·
Administrator
2,561 Posts
Having just sold my 12 inched barreled bolt action 5.56 due to the felt pressure on firing and the amplified noise, because we can't have suppressors up here. Which would make a significant difference in the functionality to the rifle, plus I don't need another caliber at this time as it is all I can do to get out annually with all the other stuff I have.
Are you allowed blast diverters? I ran one on one of my pistols uppers until I converted it to .300BO.
And I'll probably place it on my remaining 5.56NATO pistol upper.
Midwest industries made it.

·
Administrator
2,561 Posts
I would not reject one if someone gave it to me, but I have enough calibers and rifles (maybe too many - got to hide this post from the wife)
I don't have marital issues but I don't have time funds or thought time to devote to another cartridge. In fact a properly set up pistol or SBR in 8.6BO would be more in keeping for what I had a use for.

There's some animal tracking, observation and photography I may get into after I move that might place me in jeopardy and I'm no longer stealthy fast enough as I used to be. I'd like something light fast and that can toss out large chunks of lead quickly if needed. Plus there's also the insurance against stepping right into a clandestine drug lab or what not anymore.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Are you allowed blast diverters? I ran one on one of my pistols uppers until I converted it to .300BO.
And I'll probably place it on my remaining 5.56NATO pistol upper.
Midwest industries made it.
Given the cluster**** of our "proposed new firearms regulations and laws in the last 3 years, Canadian Border Services have all but shut down importation of firearms and firearms parts up here, then we have the "supply chain" problem.

I was looking for a 5.56mm bolt action rifle that would take AR style mags. I bought the Black Creek Labs "Bison" and a Mossberg MVP, In the spring I ran both guns out to 200 yds with basic accuracy tests with the intention of finding which one not only was most ergonomic but which one had the most accuracy potential. For me the Mossberg won, once life gets back to "normal" and we can purchase various powders and experiment with different loads I'll get some more time behind the rifle.

·
Administrator
2,561 Posts
So if I made an attachment for a garden hose to thread into the blast diverter. And mailed it addressed from BigEd's Garden Supplies to you Do you think they would fall for that one?
Although it being Parkerized Steel and not brass might be suspicious.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
My thoughts are similar to some of those above - it's undeniably capable, but I'm not adopting any new calibers anymore. I've never owned the large-platform AR guns and only shot one a couple times, but they seemed okay if you're up to handling a gun the size of an M1A, G3, etc. Functionally, this thing looks very good for a medium-caliber offering. I looked at Gorilla ammo's website and they're showing over 700 ft/lbs with subsonics and 1,800 ft/lbs with supersonics. That's enough for anything in north america imo.

·
Administrator
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have marital issues but I don't have time funds or thought time to devote to another cartridge. In fact a properly set up pistol or SBR in 8.6BO would be more in keeping for what I had a use for.

There's some animal tracking, observation and photography I may get into after I move that might place me in jeopardy and I'm no longer stealthy fast enough as I used to be. I'd like something light fast and that can toss out large chunks of lead quickly if needed. Plus there's also the insurance against stepping right into a clandestine drug lab or what not anymore.
no marital issues, just that admitting I may have too many guns would get me a fair amount of much deserved ribbing….😀

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
no marital issues, just that admitting I may have too many guns would get me a fair amount of much deserved ribbing….😀
I second the motion, due to recent events up here I'm tempted to go for another handgun in a caliber that I don't currently load for. I'm constantly fighting with myself to make more use of what I currently have rather than spent another couple of grand for another handgun.

·
Administrator
2,561 Posts
Well one good, or bad thing depending on ones perspective, I'm already seeing trim fixtures to make the brass from other cartridge cases. Hmmmmmm 🤔😁
But I'll be dipped if I do that to .308win brass.
However it's time to raid the brass buckets at the shooting ranges for any brass with a similar case head.😈

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The supersonic ballistics doesn't impress me that much for the size of an AR-10 platform. There are much better out there in my eyes. (It might be perfectfo someone else.)

HOWEVER, I really like the high twist for adding energy-on-target to subsonics. What I don't get, since there are a LOT of catridges that can match the subsonic ballistics of the 8.6blk (minus the high twist rate), is why aren't we immediately seeing higher twist rates in AR15 chamberings that can handle subsonics?

I'm leary of the hassle of registeriing an AR10 lower as an SBR just for 8.6 subs, BUT if they come out with a fast twist 350LGD, 338 Spectre, 358 SOCOM, or even a 300blk barrel that can go on my AR15 SBRs, then I AM ON IT!

I've seen 1/5 twists for 300blk (not faster), but they are only in 5" bbls. I want an 8.5" minimum bbl so I have no issues with any of my suppressors AND I have enough handguard length to easily rest on deer stand windows.

KJ

Reactions: BigEd and Dorobuta

·
Administrator
2,561 Posts
The supersonic ballistics doesn't impress me that much for the size of an AR-10 platform. There are much better out there in my eyes. (It might be perfectfo someone else.)

HOWEVER, I really like the high twist for adding energy-on-target to subsonics. What I don't get, since there are a LOT of catridges that can match the subsonic ballistics of the 8.6blk (minus the high twist rate), is why aren't we immediately seeing higher twist rates in AR15 chamberings that can handle subsonics?

I'm leary of the hassle of registeriing an AR10 lower as an SBR just for 8.6 subs, BUT if they come out with a fast twist 350LGD, 338 Spectre, 358 SOCOM, or even a 300blk barrel that can go on my AR15 SBRs, then I AM ON IT!

I've seen 1/5 twists for 300blk (not faster), but they are only in 5" bbls. I want an 8.5" minimum bbl so I have no issues with any of my suppressors AND I have enough handguard length to easily rest on deer stand windows.

KJ
Yeah, I know that specialty twist rate barrels for different calibers in AR-15 and AR10 platforms have existed in the past.
I don't know what Green Mountain currently has in inventory but they used to list some very fast twist rates at times and generally sell them under ," experimental" or something. Well I looked there and only one and that's only a .223 chamber but a 1-6" twist rate
Aw well..
😑

And glad to see one of the old crew remembers back.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Yeah, I know that specialty twist rate barrels for different calibers in AR-15 and AR10 platforms have existed in the past.
I don't know what Green Mountain currently has in inventory but they used to list some very fast twist rates at times and generally sell them under ," experimental" or something. Well I looked there and only one and that's only a .223 chamber but a 1-6" twist rate
That's a good suggestion, and thanks. I really hadn't considered the ones marked "experimental" just because I worried its a one-run-and-done thing. If I liked them, I couldn't get more. I usually like to try something new with one set-up, and THEN get more. We all hunt and shoot: my wife, 3 young kids, and myself. That means that I like to get "good" stuff in multiples of 2 (for wife and I), 3 (for kids to inherit equally if not have now), or 5 (one for everyone). With those costs, I usually have to get them over a period of time....

Writing that $1000 check to the ATF for 5 SBR lowers really sucked....lol.

And glad to see one of the old crew remembers back.
LOL. Thanks. I still read more than I post. ;)

Reactions: BigEd
1 - 16 of 16 Posts