Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

8.6 Blackout

628 views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  KJUN 
#1 Ā·
new cartridge - 8.6 blackout. basically a 6.5 Grendel necked up to .338

#2 Ā· (Edited)
I've seen this previously.

And it's pretty promising to me. Ideally I can see a SBR in my future. So many different calibers and firearms so little time and space currently.

I'm thinking this would really fulfill Jeff Cooper's "Thumper" concept as Ć©ither a bolt action or self loading rifle.

I've got my own idea for a SBR build already if the components will mesh up together. Imagine a SBR/Pistol version of the Ruger in the link below in this new round.

#4 Ā·
Having just sold my 12 inched barreled bolt action 5.56 due to the felt pressure on firing and the amplified noise, because we can't have suppressors up here. Which would make a significant difference in the functionality to the rifle, plus I don't need another caliber at this time as it is all I can do to get out annually with all the other stuff I have.

#7 Ā·
I don't have marital issues but I don't have time funds or thought time to devote to another cartridge. In fact a properly set up pistol or SBR in 8.6BO would be more in keeping for what I had a use for.

There's some animal tracking, observation and photography I may get into after I move that might place me in jeopardy and I'm no longer stealthy fast enough as I used to be. I'd like something light fast and that can toss out large chunks of lead quickly if needed. Plus there's also the insurance against stepping right into a clandestine drug lab or what not anymore.

#9 Ā·
So if I made an attachment for a garden hose to thread into the blast diverter. And mailed it addressed from BigEd's Garden Supplies to you Do you think they would fall for that one?
Although it being Parkerized Steel and not brass might be suspicious.

#10 Ā·
My thoughts are similar to some of those above - it's undeniably capable, but I'm not adopting any new calibers anymore. I've never owned the large-platform AR guns and only shot one a couple times, but they seemed okay if you're up to handling a gun the size of an M1A, G3, etc. Functionally, this thing looks very good for a medium-caliber offering. I looked at Gorilla ammo's website and they're showing over 700 ft/lbs with subsonics and 1,800 ft/lbs with supersonics. That's enough for anything in north america imo.

#13 Ā·
Well one good, or bad thing depending on ones perspective, I'm already seeing trim fixtures to make the brass from other cartridge cases. Hmmmmmm šŸ¤”šŸ˜
But I'll be dipped if I do that to .308win brass.
However it's time to raid the brass buckets at the shooting ranges for any brass with a similar case head.šŸ˜ˆ

#14 Ā·
The supersonic ballistics doesn't impress me that much for the size of an AR-10 platform. There are much better out there in my eyes. (It might be perfectfo someone else.)

HOWEVER, I really like the high twist for adding energy-on-target to subsonics. What I don't get, since there are a LOT of catridges that can match the subsonic ballistics of the 8.6blk (minus the high twist rate), is why aren't we immediately seeing higher twist rates in AR15 chamberings that can handle subsonics?

I'm leary of the hassle of registeriing an AR10 lower as an SBR just for 8.6 subs, BUT if they come out with a fast twist 350LGD, 338 Spectre, 358 SOCOM, or even a 300blk barrel that can go on my AR15 SBRs, then I AM ON IT!

I've seen 1/5 twists for 300blk (not faster), but they are only in 5" bbls. I want an 8.5" minimum bbl so I have no issues with any of my suppressors AND I have enough handguard length to easily rest on deer stand windows.

KJ

Reactions: BigEd and Dorobuta
#15 Ā·
Yeah, I know that specialty twist rate barrels for different calibers in AR-15 and AR10 platforms have existed in the past.
I don't know what Green Mountain currently has in inventory but they used to list some very fast twist rates at times and generally sell them under ," experimental" or something. Well I looked there and only one and that's only a .223 chamber but a 1-6" twist rate
Aw well..
šŸ˜‘

And glad to see one of the old crew remembers back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.