Arms Locker banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replicate the M75 load (8x57 Mauser, 196gr @ 2400).

I've read that many attempts at handloads have met with pierced primers but no cratering/other pressure signs with the M76; so I'm guessing that I'd need harder than typical primers. Any suggestions?

Does anyone have any keynotes on loading 8x57 Mauser, any favored components, or any knowledge of loading such for autoloaders?

Also, if anyone has a box of M75 Surp, or two or three, that I could buy/barter for me to shoot / dissect, I would be greatly appreciative.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm trying to replicate the M75 load (8x57 Mauser, 196gr @ 2400).

I've read that many attempts at handloads have met with pierced primers but no cratering/other pressure signs with the M76; so I'm guessing that I'd need harder than typical primers. Any suggestions?

Does anyone have any keynotes on loading 8x57 Mauser, any favored components, or any knowledge of loading such for autoloaders?

Also, if anyone has a box of M75 Surp, or two or three, that I could buy/barter for me to shoot / dissect, I would be greatly appreciative.

CCI #34 should fill the bill its supposed to be hard cupped like military primers. the one thing i do know about them is that they are far from consistent. you mite give Winchester a try there more consistent as for the durability of the cup i don't know. if your suffering from pierced primers be sure and check the firing pin it may be undersized at the tip causing the problems or it may be protruding excessively. as for reloading the 7.92x57 start with /06 .270 .280 brass. shove the shoulder back and trim to length. i haven't had to buy 8x57 brass for years. the one really good thing about doing it this way is that the neck area of 8x57 military rifles is really big so you won't even have to worry about the necks being to thick. as for the 2400 fps out of a 196 bullet i think you could get by with 45-46 grains of 4064. have fun and be safe DW.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts