Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a fella on Am-Back the other day that was inquiring about this conversion.

Before anybody gets their panties in a wad remember that some Garands have already been converted to .308 & even .243 with success.

The original poster mentioned that because the correct .30-06 cheap ammo supply is about gone & that some Garands have very poor bores & in & of themselves aren't collectible why not convert some to the very cheap & available 8mm Mauser cartridge?It makes sense to me.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
There were posts on Battlerifles awhile back about someone actually doing an 8mm Garand conversion. Claimed it worked well.

RIKA

·
Registered
611 Posts
If it is possible, I wouldn't do it. 8mm is a krout bullet, and the Garand is a krout killer.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
[Panties in wad]If yer too cheap to buy or load .30-06, buy one of those nice, cheap Mausers in 8mm.[/Panties in wad]

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Some of those nice cheap 8mm Mausers are beautiful. I would really keep the Garand in 30-06 or 308.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Magnum88C said:
[Panties in wad]If yer too cheap to buy or load .30-06, buy one of those nice, cheap Mausers in 8mm.[/Panties in wad]
Mag,the whole point of the conversion would be to still be able to shoot "cheap",effective ammo.As the -06 hasn't been a main rifle round for 40ish years the supply of reliable,cheap,quality ammo is drying up.

Yes,handloading is a viable option.But,as the 8mm is in the same family & the supply is huge right now,& rack grade Garands are $350 that might need to rebarrel anyways,the question would be why not.

I guess if I do it I won't tell you guys how nice it turned out. :nyah:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Jeff, there is plenty of 308 and its easy to convert the Garand to that caliber. Please think about it. Its a dandy conversion, relatively inexpensive and I will probably have one of mine modified. Consider also that since 8mm is imported, that supply could dry up or be cut off at a moments notice.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rika,the whole conversion would be based on the need to re-barrel.That would be the same for either the .308 or the 8mm.For me anyways,a .308 Garand actually seems more blasphemous than the 8mm.Not exactly sure why...:)

BTW,aren't you supposed to be out prepping to machine gun Bambis' dad?:nyah:

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
The .338 seemed kinda cool, but at the same time it just wouldn't be a Garand anymore...

:devil:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A belted magnum Garand seems....odd.

A .35Whelen Garand is another option.Except the el cheapo ammo option would be gone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts