Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about doing some velocity tests on 9mm from carbine vs. pistol, and just checking if there are any particular loads that anyone would like tried out. If so, any ammo donations would be welcome (factory stuff only, no offense intended). This is really intended to see how much gain can be had from a carbine barrel, so lighter-weight bullet loads are what I'm mostly leaning toward. May do some heavier-bullet stuff as well just for comparison, but it's lighter, faster loads that have historically gotten the biggest boost when I've tried them in the past. I've done a fair amount of this in the past, but it's been some years ago, and haven't done any with my current carbine.

Currently, have several variations of Underwood's Xtreme Defender stuff, both 68-grain and 90-grain. I'll also probably do some of the 9BP-LE stuff as well, Federal's old-school 115-grain +P+ JHP load that's been around for 30 years or more. In the Camp-9, it consistently averaged more than 1,600fps, and I'm curious if that was a fluke of the gun, or if it will do the same from my current 16" 9mm carbine. (I've since sold off the Camp-9.) Will probably also do some Corbon 100-grain; from the Camp-9 its velocity was somewhat erratic, but consistently averaged more than 1800 fps, which is crazy fast imo. Again, I'm curious if that was a fluke of the Camp-9 for some reason, or if it'll stay consistent with this AR-style carbine as well.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on good loads to test, I'd appreciate the input. It will definitely be limited in sample size, as this stuff sometimes runs a dollar per round or more. I figure two or three rounds from a pistol, followed by two or three from the carbine for comparison. If I didn't have this ammo already on hand, I wouldn't be doing this; but I've never clocked anything from my current carbine and am curious.

Administrator
John, When are you planning on the test? I might be able to rustle up a couple of different rounds and bring them when I head down to get the AA .22 unit.
I have to look but I might have a box of Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +p. and I know that I still have a ton of REM/UMC 115gr jhp.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure really, not in the next week or anything. I was wrong about having some of the Underwood 68-grain stuff; I only have their 90-grain stuff, so ordered a box of the 68 yesterday.

It'll be November at least, not sure really when. Since time-change is coming next week and the sun will be down at ~5:00 pm then, it will have to be sometime on a weekend. And having spare time and good weather both on the same weekend weekend will be a crap shoot & may be a while in coming. For that matter, if you bring that stuff down even after I do it, I can always still test them as well.

Administrator
Okay, I need to root through my stuff and get that out I'm curious as to what those 135gr +p Critical Duty loads do out of a long barrel.

And like I mentioned I won't be able to make it over there anyway until after the first of November.

In a few days need to PM you with some details. I almost forgot next week is the start of next month.馃槼

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not looking to do this test right now or anything, but after cutting up & dragging off a tree that was downed in our driveway during a storm on Friday night, I got out my chronograph Saturday afternoon just to make sure it was working since I haven't used since before we moved 4-5 years ago. It looked fine, but when I put a new battery in it & turned it on, half of the LCD segments in the display don't work anymore. Don't know if it got knocked around in the move or what, but I couldn't get them to come up; so of course had to order a new chronograph. Tried to think of a way to make it a business expense, but couldn't rationalize it no matter how I tried. :confused:

My old one was an old Shooting Chrony F1, but couldn't find them anywhere in stock. They may not be made anymore for that matter. So ended up ordering a Caldwall - don't know anything about them but they get good reviews.

Then told my wife thanks for buying my Christmas present early.

Administrator
They are a pretty good one. The basic model is one I currently have.

I also had an old Shooting Chrony that I sold to a friend and I also believe they went out of business. I think that competition like Caldwell bit into their market severely about 6 or so years ago.

Registered
My shooting chrono lasted 20 years of constant use before it died. When I went to replace it I found out the company closed. I spent the next 5 years with a RCBC "green torpedo" made in China, what a cheap POS! This I bought a new one from Competition Electronics that works quite well.

• Wow
Reactions: BigEd

Administrator
Oops was friend of mine bought that RCBS contraption too but I doubt he used his yet.
Oh boy, yeah just the torpedo/bullet shape looked well a bit bulky for what it was supposed to be.
Hope it don't go belly up too

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Youtube is still processing the video to get it up to the 4k it was shot in, but it's up now; albeit in lower resolution. This is five different loads; two standard-pressure, two +P, and one +P+. It's impressive to me that all three of the +P loads I chronographed exceeded 625 ft/lbs, exceeding typical 10mm handgun energy levels. And one of them (the Corbon) hitting 730 ft/lbs; solidly in .41 magnum territory. People don't believe it when you tell them that a good +P 9mm load will break 1600-1700 fps, but right there on video are two loads breaking 1750,with one of them averaging over 1800. That's fast for a 9mm.

Have eight more 9mm loads I want to test, so probably two more small tests like this one to follow.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another 9mm carbine chronograph session, with just three loads this time. (Did this one this past weekend as well, but didn鈥檛 upload it until today.) This time with Hornady Critical Duty, Corbon 125-grain JHP, and Corbon Urban Response; all in +P loadings.

These three didn鈥檛 get as much of a velocity boost from the carbine-length barrel as most of the other +P loads have. This corbon 100-grain Urban Response load running more than 125 fps slower than the previous (same-weight) corbon Pow鈥檙Ball load; that was definitely a disappointment. Also, had a complete case separation with the first round of the Critical Duty thru the carbine. Never had that happen before with any 9mm load, and it only happened once here, so maybe an absolute fluke.

This is the last one I have recorded and it may be a while before I do any more. Just quite a lot going on right now.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fwiw, found the second piece of the separated Hornady brass. As far as I can recall, I鈥檝e never encountered this with any handgun round before. Not even magnums or Casull loads in brass that had been reloaded multiple times. No idea what caused it here - the ammo was still in its factory box and had been in a sealed ammo can indoors, no rough handling or poor storage conditions to blame it on.
Household hardware Automotive tire Automotive lighting Cylinder Auto part

The gun was completely bound up and out of commission until I could disassemble it enough to run a rod with oversized chamber brush thru from the bore end to unseat the broken piece from the chamber.

Administrator
That pretty much put the end to me buying the stuff.
That and my personal experience I mentioned in the comments section.
I'm pretty much going to be going back to reloading my own 9mm ammo. Once I get another set of good carbide dies

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Came across a mostly-full box of Federal 124 JHP standard pressure today that I'd forgotten about. I'll work it into the rotation next time (or the next time, or...) that I'm doing some testing. IIRC, there were five more 9mm loads I wanted to test, so if this makes six it will be a good chance to break it out into two tests of three each. Testing more than three loads thru two guns all in one sitting tends to get uncomfortably long.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Four more loads; two Buffalo Bore and two Underwood. Three of the four averaged over 1800 fps from the carbine, and one of them averaged over 2200. That is fast for factory loads.

Administrator
John, I'm not sure if they don't go with the outrageously big packaging so someone doesn't carelessly load it in the wrong pistol. Just a guess there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could be; just weird to me.

This is the last of the 9mm tests I'm currently planning. These three loads are much more mainstream 7 common; none of them are even +P pressure.

Still have a half dozen or so .357 and .38 loads I want to get done, not sure how soon that'll be.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts