Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the 9mm stood for when reffering to a 9mm pistol. Barrel diameter, shell diameter, I dunno. And is a .44 a 44th of an inch wide?
Ta

·
Registered
720 Posts
Bookwriter,
So, pick up a book, perhaps one on reloading, the technical info is all there. Hint 9mm, .38, and .357 =same bullet diameter for all three and, no, a 44 caliber is not exactly .44 inch. I learned all this and more from books, Bookwriter!
SatCong

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Man Your Post' Swabbie'

sorry about that [1st] post i made on you, the tard has a crippling effect!

:grabbit:

thanks.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
There's a slight variance between 9mm and .38, about .002". The 9mm is .355" in OD (that's outside diameter) and .38 is actually .357" in OD. Those are what's known as "nominal" sizes, as in "Plus or minus .001". :) The .357 Magnum is the same case as the .38 special, but it's .100" longer, and it's loaded to about twice as much chamber pressure, so it delivers about twice as much striking force.

The .44 mag is .429" in OD. The older revolver cases were loaded with black powder, ya see, as in the .44 Russian, the .38 Long Colt, the .41 Long Colt, 44-40. Their bullets had a reduced diameter "heel", like a .22 lr has. In other words, the bullet's OD was the same size as the OD of the brass cartridge case. The bullet's lubricant was on the outside of the bullet, and it was greasy. It picked up debris, and then sometimes couldn't be inserted into the chambers of the revolver. So the decision was made to make the entire bullet of an OD that would fit down inside the case. This meant that bullets either had to become smaller in OD, or the barrels, cylinders and frames had to be enlarged. It was much simpler to make the bullets smaller than to enlarge everything else. So the .32 came out to be .308", the .41 was actually .387", and so on. Cartridge "nomenclature" (ie, naming) is pretty arhaic and non-sensical in many ways.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
if one only knew the'movers/shakers' of the DAY!

when the turn of the last/last century came to friutition[s.p]

the indusrtial[s.p] PARTYS started WW1, we tried to avoid. any global [fistfight][[i can spell that .mind you]

it BOILS DOWN, to the FACT us'n's WON over 100 years ago on the world STAGE!

there for WE MAY DICTATE [SP] to the world !

fossil[sp] fuels!LIKE IT OR NOT /ARE WHAT WE ARE!

I DON'T CARE A FLYING FLIP, ON YOUR COUNTER VIEWS!

THANKS, FOR THE FORUM AND MY VIEWS,

[IF YOUR GONNA' VOTE KERRY/STAY OUTTA' RANGE !]

THANKS.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
BRASS, you ain't drinkin gasoline again are ya? I know that dream about Rosie and the machine gun really bothered you but, GET A GRIP MAN! :roflmao1:

Bookwriter: getting into calibers versus actual dimensions is opening a can of worms. Andy relayed some of this. But how about: .30'06 (thirty caliber of 1906) is really a .308 bullet. The .303 is really .311. The 7.62x54R, while supposedly the same diamter as the 7.62x51mm (.308) it's really .3105. The .45 ACP is really .452, so is the .45 Colt, unless you're talking the .45 Colt originally produced for the original Peacemakers, which is .454.

Are we having fun yet?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Yeah, you're right, I guess most are.
The Sierra 200-gr match are .4515, and the hardcast lead I use are .452. Most other jacketed bullet's seem to be .451

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I NEED TO TAPER OFF THE SQUEZZIN'S, [ALTHOUGH, I LIKE MY SELF AS A DRINKIN'/SPORTIN' MAN BETTER]

the fact remains,..... the .45acp shell holder[for reloading ] fits a WHOLE shi*load of turn of the century, RIFLE CALIBERS.????? and a whole slew to follow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

cost effective/cheap, THE PRIMARY REASON!

that was my GIST ,[although,gettin'drunk/an postin'] it did not SHINE THROUGH, as intended!

thank you :sidestep: :crying: :alien: :dancer01:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
yes, but .45 ACP was never loaded with black powder, or with an outside lubed bullet, and it wasn't designed as a revolver rd, either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts