Arms Locker banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the sleeping bag system that I used around world from Eqypt (in the winter) to Alaska in February and points in between. This system has been in service with the Canadian Army since the late 1960's, which speaks of its durability. The complete system is a bit heavier than most lightweight backpackers would like but it is far more flexible than some of the stuff sold in your local camping store.

Please note that the gentleman that produced this excellent video used no garbage.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q6PUk8qB6g

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
How did you ever survive with out being wrapped up in plastic garbage bags, leaves, house wrap, cardboard an other dumpster trash?
Was it for more than an hour or two?

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you ever survive with out being wrapped up in plastic garbage bags, leaves, house wrap, cardboard an other dumpster trash?
Was it for more than an hour or two?
When I was in Alaska in February, marching across the tundra, 180 miles away from Fort Wainwright in the bush, it was almost impossible to find a dumpster full of garbage, even leaves. Mind you after a couple of hours snuggled up, you detested the guy that woke you up for "stove watch".

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I confess I never really camp anymore, and unless something changes, don't really plan to.

And the 'wandering hobo of the apocalypse' fantasy was fortunately left behind for me decades ago. ;)

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I confess I never really camp anymore, and unless something changes, don't really plan to.

And the 'wandering hobo of the apocalypse' fantasy was fortunately left behind for me decades ago. ;)
Agree, the point these days for the +65 crowd, is are you ready to bug in if the zombie apocalypse happens and the electricity goes off and the oil stops flowing. "Bugging in" next to a dumpster does have its limitations!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Interesting, considering the time frame these were first issued. It's obvious that the USGI MSS sleep system was influenced by the Canadian one.
The poncho liner is another great idea. I've owned a USGI one for decades that I modified into a sleeping bag liner/light weight summer bag. Mine isn't able to serve as a true poncho liner since modified but works pretty well.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big ED, I was lucky enough to trade for 3 US Poncho liners when we worked with various US Army & Marine Corps units. Great piece of kit.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I have a half dozen poncho liners stashed away and a few more in use. When my Children were young they didn't as for a "Bankie" it was a pancho lina. We used to curse some of the gear issued but never the Poncho Liners.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
there's always debris and if you where to look, it'll be dry, too. you can also dry it out. I never said a gd word about using any sort of garbage. that is just your stupidity talking. You couln'dt run 100m with the 60 lbs of crap that you deem "essential". in less than 20 seconds. Anyone who thinks that they can stay in place when mobs are burning down the town, or when the army comes to get your supplies is nuts. Feel free to stay there. What you'll really do is commit suicide, since that's all your capable of

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not every emergency is going to require you to run off to the bush, with "wifey". She probably won't enjoy sleeping in a hole in the ground very long either. If services are interrupted for only a short period of time there is no use and packing up and heading out of Dodge. Melvin do you even have a backup location organized? Is your backup location stocked with food. One detailed publication indicates you need approximately 440 pounds of food stashed PER adult. Do you have at least that much set aside, because with you and 360 million other people out hunting, game will not be plentiful.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
there's always debris and if you where to look, it'll be dry, too. you can also dry it out. I never said a gd word about using any sort of garbage. that is just your stupidity talking. You couln'dt run 100m with the 60 lbs of crap that you deem "essential". in less than 20 seconds. Anyone who thinks that they can stay in place when mobs are burning down the town, or when the army comes to get your supplies is nuts. Feel free to stay there. What you'll really do is commit suicide, since that's all your capable of
I’ll race you 100 meters in my gear against you in yours any day. You keep projecting your weakness on everyone else. Mr bad back, bad knees, bad circulation, and leaky heart.

Who said anything about strategies? You have an definite deficiency of thought when comes to what anyone is planning to do.

Some people are smart and plan in layers. Some people use maps, which you can’t do, to see where there are avenues of travel, natural barriers, and likely approaches.

If you can’t use a map, you lose situational awareness and big picture planning.

Keep projecting your weaknesses, it’s fun.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
In fact, let’s make it fun and do a 10 mile race with our gear. We can do like a tough ruck race. We will weigh our packs at the start, mid point and end.

Winner gets bragging rights, loser posts publicly that they were FoS.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
We don’t even have to meet to do it. You just need to take and post pictures at the weigh ins, time at start, time at each stop, and have witnesses sign off on it.

This means you have to post pictures of your gear and the weight. Because you’re a felon, you don’t need ammo or guns, to avoid any legal issues.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Speaking of pics. I dug out my modified poncho liner but didn't want to mess with pulling the whole thing out of its stuff sack.

Zipper pull and velcro visible.

Nothing fancy but it's real.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts