Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I'm still waiting on a field (retention) holster for the CZ P01 to come in. Ordered it a little over a month ago, and supposedly will be another month before it comes in. Have concealment and open-top competition holsters for it, but I like some retention in a field holster unless it's a crossdraw where it's right in front of me. Getting on & off the four-wheeler or tractor, cutting & moving brush, all kinds of things want to grab or snag an open-carried pistol when in the woods.

Reactions: gripper

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'm still waiting on a field (retention) holster for the CZ P01 to come in. Ordered it a little over a month ago, and supposedly will be another month before it comes in. Have concealment and open-top competition holsters for it, but I like some retention in a field holster unless it's a crossdraw where it's right in front of me. Getting on & off the four-wheeler or tractor, cutting & moving brush, all kinds of things want to grab or snag an open-carried pistol when in the woods.
so put it under your shirt. it's supposed to be so "carryable'. i've worn a GM 1911 for many a long day doing chores. sometimes also with a .22lr pistol, too, cause most of the time the shots were at small stuff and I had horrible problems getting .45 ammo. i had to cast with a single cavity mold when my parents were gone, using the kitchen stove. I had to size and lube them by hand, with a die from a Lyman 310 tool, then load them with a lee handloader. and i had to cut the cases out of .45 L Colt cases. So i didn' fire them at rabbits. It always had to be concealed. I used to carry a .44 cap and ball concealed, under a shirt, on a motorcycle, too, as a skinny 17 year old kid. I wore it 'cavalry style" butt forward, behind the hip

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
For concealed carry I do carry under my shirt, at roughly two o'clock (what has recently become fashionable & called 'appendix' carry), and have done so since the late 80's. Initially a Detonics mini-1911 in a Sparks EX, before 'aiwb' holsters were a thing.

But for a field holster, I prefer a normal OWB belt holster; either strongside or crossdraw. And strongside owb in the woods I want some retention - can be a simple thumb snap even; doesn't have to be anything exotic. For that matter, even my current crossdraw holster has a retention thumbsnap. Doesn't hurt anything and gives a better level of security when I'm actually working (or even playing) in the woods. For a range holster I don't care one way or the other too much about the retention consideration, but for rough-travel or other activities it's a good thing to have.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
The T-Rex ‘Raptor’ holster has been my main one for several years, but have a couple from Tier 1 Concealed and Dara holsters that are very good as well.

G43 with a TTI +2 basepad & extended magazine spring, in a t-rex raptor holster with 9 rounds of corbon.

The P30sk with extended 13-rd magazine in a Dara Slickside holster:

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
Glocks have never really appealed to me, I shot a Gen 1 back in the '80's, had a friend in the '90's who needed 3 to compete with, one to shoot, 1 in the gunsmiths and 1 for spare parts "just in case". Plus I find the 1911 more ergonomic.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Gen 5 cured all the problems. But nothing takes place of a 1911 in any size or a Hi Power.
The Marksman barrel has normal rifling so it shoots great. The trigger feels nothing like the older ones. None of the insides fit the older models. No finger grooves of frames, feels better. And they are cheap enough to have hidden around. The 26 drops in a pocket, the 19 is nice IWB. My 26 an 19x both have SCDs (striker control device) (Safety)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My go to full size 9 is a HK VP-9

I usually CCW a S&W Shield.

I have a number of 1911s and assorted other guns in .45

Don’t own any Glocks, have not shot one I liked, yet.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have 1911s in 22, 9mm, 38 super, 38 wadcutter, 400 corbon an many in 45, from full size to Officers. Steel an alloy frames an one special commander in hard chrome. Too many to count!

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
The only Glock I really like is the G21 carried in a Miami Vice shoulder rig in Winter or OWB in a Gazelle leather OWB. I have a G17 3 rd generation but I find it's really second place to the CZ 9 MM's. For hiking and outdoorsy stuff I just use an inexpensive nylon OWB in cross draw or strong side. I have way too many holsters for a fact. Nearly every C&R handgun I bought came with a Military holster and I bought new ones for those. Also just acquired a lot from somewhere I don't remember. I also spent high dollars on custom holsters only to find I already had a holster that would fit the gun perfectly. The funniest joke on me was a Kydex holster I bought with an double magazine holder. I stuck the G21 in it and literally couldn't get it out. I tugged and pulled and sweated and finally got it loose. It's laying around here somewhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts