Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[soapbox]Carbines are in, shotguns are out. Gun magazines and the plethora of so-called tactical books remind us "shotguns r bad, carbines good". Never mind that shotguns have been used effectively for hunting and defense for 700 years. Don't get me wrong, I like carbines, but guns are similar to golf clubs...different clubs for different circumstances.

The same people that poo-poo shotguns seem to overlook that 12 ga. buckshot at close range resembles a 3/4" 500 grain frangible bullet at 9mm velocity.[/soapbox]

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I quit carrying my 12-gauge pump on duty several years ago, switching to my CAR-15; as I don't like the randomness of shotshells. I prefer "one shot, one projectile". Also, I like the added reach the CAR gives me for feral animals in our rural area.

But a shotgun is a devastating weapon, and within certain parameters, can likely be even "better" than a carbine. I suspect part of the reasons for LE depts switching to carbines is the inability of many officers to get used to a shotgun's recoil, and their inability to use it well. JMO.

·
Registered
378 Posts
One reason to step away from a shottie is the random effect at longer ranges, and difficulties in controling terminal results in a urban enviroment. With a carbine the roundup of stray projectiles is a quicker grouping, as the number of missed pellets is easily determined. A carboine can do most things a shottie can do, but a shottie has the advantage of brute firepower at a close range.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Then its a case of picking the right weapon for the job at hand, right. My shottie has a place at my bedside as long as I can own a gun.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
so who says that you NEED that power, hmm? You are far more likely to need the SPEED of placement that comes with a can and .22 unit practice.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy said:
so who says that you NEED that power, hmm? You are far more likely to need the SPEED of placement that comes with a can and .22 unit practice.
In my house I need a pair of ear protectors.

RIKA

·
Registered
378 Posts
The shotgun whether right or wrong has a reputation as a instant fight stopper, and both sides have heard about it, so it will often settle matters just by cycling the pump. A shotgun for civilian purposes loaded with #2 or BB will stop anyone but not blow through the house, the shed, and the nieghbors house. Pistol gripped shotguns with a light mounted are great as a room clearing tool, when something goes bump in the night.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Raider said:
In my house I need a pair of ear protectors.

RIKA
It's a good idea to spend the rather minimal amount of money to get a set of electronic hearing protection. It offers two advantages, not only does it protect you from the blast of your weapon, but it also amplifies low sounds, so you'll actually hear BETTER. This is a better option than a "can" indoors, as the blast from your weapon, even in a miss or poor hit situation WILL affect your target.

Of yeah, I bet I can put 10 .33 caliber projectiles on target at 10 yards with my scattergun faster than GoonKid can put 10 of his rimfires onto the same target.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts