Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the chance at a savage bolt action 30-06 w/ simmons 3-9x32 and a harris bipod for 200$ do i take it or pass any ideas

:madeuce:

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
What are you planning on using it for? What does the rifling look like?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
awful cheap. Is the muzzle burred up? get a borelight in the chamber, and look the barrel over carefully for "rings" inside of it, where a bullet was stuck, and then either shot out with the next rd or beaten out with drill rod and hammer. Feel the barrel carefully, any bulges in it? Take the stock off of the action and barrel. Any abuse showing, like a hack job at the bedding? Such a bedding disaster can be readily fixed, but it will be $60 or so at the smiths to do so. Ideally, spin the barrel in a lathe,or at least, roll it along a big pc of window glass looking for signs that it's bent. It could, of course, have been used in a crime, or be stolen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not stolen no crimes and no abuse my cuz just doesnt use it anymore and wants to get rid of it everything looks great on it the barrel is fine and it will be taking down white tail and any other big game i go for

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
A friend of mine told me about a bolt action Savage of his brother's that was an absolute tack driver. Of course, there are all kinds of variables at play that may make a big difference in the gun you get. Generally I like Savage rifles. I have a hankering to get one of the new models with their Accu-trigger. One thing that IS lacking in the older Savages is the trigger group. If they have that Accu-Trigger as a drop in replacement, I may get a few of them for my older guns.

But heck for $200, as long as there is nothing obviously wrong with it, how can you go wrong?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what im thinking

am also wanting a range finder any one got one to sell prefer 3-500 yard model willing to trade a gps for it or buy

·
Registered
33 Posts
ghostrider, My B-N-L bought a older Model 110 in 270 from a pawn shop 10 or so years ago. Scope was a Tasco 3x9 -- He paid about 200 for it.
The scope was fogged up some so we replaced with a Weaver V10.
I shot one of the best group I ever shot with a rifle at 100 yards.
It was amazing how tight of a group it kept with 130 grain Remington Core-loks.
Some buddies of our have Remington 700's in '06 and 270 - that gun outshot those by at far margin when they shot it side by side with their own.

I don't know or believe that every Savage is going to be like that one.
That rifle sure got the best of all worlds before it left the factory though.

Sad thing was - He sold it without telling me when he was hard up for money.

Jim

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Savage rifles are butt-ugly, but they have a reputation as tack drivers. If you want a very good rifle, but are not worried about being fashionable, pick it up. The kit versiona they sell (kit being it comes with scope and required hardware) cost about $150 mor ethan that, so yeah, it's a good deal.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Savage rifles are NOT butt ugly.:)

Savage rifles have a barrel that can be swapped by the owner w/just a wrench & a gauge.Don't like .30-06?Change it for a .35 Whelen or .25-06,or etc.

$200?I'd be all over it.Heck,there are a half dozen companies-even McMillan-that make drop in stocks for them.Buy it!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
ghostrider said:
i have the chance at a savage bolt action 30-06 w/ simmons 3-9x32 and a harris bipod for 200$ do i take it or pass any ideas

:madeuce:
It sounds like a good deal to me.

Take the money that you save and buy a good, durable, repeatable scope such as a Leupold 3-9x40mm.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
41mag said:
Savage rifles are NOT butt ugly.:)
I guess it all depends. Now that you mention it, I've seen some mighty fine butts in my day.

So I guess I'd better qualify that, it's fluffy cottage-cheese butt ugly.

:nyah:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hey,I like cottage cheese!

:santa:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Me too! On my PLATE, smothered in onions fried with garlic and butter, NOT in a girl's BUTT.

[Homer Simpson]Garlic and onions, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm[/Homer Simpson]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts