Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Makes me glad Vancouver is so sheltered by islands... But we're still on the red line in the lower mainland.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I think this is as bad as it can get for being caught flat footed as they say. You are on vacation, at an island resort, far from anything when the earthquake strikes. Then about 2.5 hours later your island is overwhelmed by a 20 foot tidal wave of massive proportions (tidal waves of 20 feet in height over thousands of miles as per the report I read). Chances are you had little warning if any. The quake at your point is felt, and you know it is bad, but what can you do. There are no scheduled flights today, a boat would likely be pointless and the high ground high enough but like I said you do not know the wave is coming. Are you smart enough to have immediately fled to high ground (is there high enough ground on you tropical paradise), do you have any supplies, are you caught by surprise and swept away, what do you do if that happens and you wind up alive miles from anything??????

What a fucking bummer this is. I really am an agnostic but tonight I will play all bets and say my prayers for those who are in just that situation, swept to sea and still alive (and for all others injured or not who were effected). if this is not a real SHTF situation for those involved then nothing is. If you had lots of luck you had some advance notice and got to high ground, if you had a bit of luck maybe you grabbed hold of some drift wood or a surf board that was washed awy with you. SHTF and scary for sure whatever...

·
Registered
9,706 Posts
On the positive side, according to Gunkid...... its not SHTF!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Ha she said that already! I would expect him to be about the only one, but maybe others feel the same way.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Mabu say it not SHTF it WHTF: Water Hit The Fan and this not meant as joke.

Not when the water is going 100mph and 20 to 40 ft high.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
There is a good chance that many people saw the wave but had no idea how big it was. Once they figured out how big it was, it was far too late to do anything about it and escape.

Heck I can remember a long while back laying on the beach in Florida and seeing an unusual wave heading to shore on the horizon. Even though it made the hair stand up on back of my neck, I just laid there staring at it wondering what the heck was going on. When it got closer to shore, it was really nothing at all, but when I first spotted it, there was no reference I could use to gauge how big it was. It definitely wasn't a garden variety wave, but it didn't prove to be anything to worry about. As for what caused it, I didn't have a clue. So I can fully understand why this could have happened even with a good number of people seeing their doom coming for them. I would have felt like a fool getting up and screaming like a maniac and running for high ground with the incident mentioned above. So I guess many people, if there is any doubt at all about what they are seeing, would do the same thing. I was lucky. They weren't.

Speaking of waves that may carry danger.....

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I find to be the most interesting/frightening is the fact that this wave pattern caused tidal waves and death from Indonesia to Somalia.Look at those two on a map a second.The distance is huge!

These people aren't Orientals either.These folk value the lives of individuals.There are some seriously hurting people out there tonight.

IIRC,the Azores are in a tectonically active area off the west coast of Europe/Africa.Supposedly an earthquake there would send a similar wave pattern directly into NYC.The devestation would make the events of September 11th look like a car wreck in proportion.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I think it would be impossible to see such a wave travelling... In deep water, sunami's are virtually nothing. Most of the "wave" is underwater. But as it hits the shore it follows the bed and towers up out of the water. Especially in the coral islands (indonesia, etc) wich are surrounded by reefs and then deep, deep water, there would have been no visible buildup of the wave... Im guessing it just appeared as if out of nowhere and rushed up the beach. :sidestep:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Sorry guys, I'm dragging this over here from the other thread, because unlike some people, I won't post in Glenn's thread, as requested:

andy said:
no, it's not, because it's simple to move someplace where there's still electricity, still drinking water in the pipes, where money still has value. This is just a minor, localized problem, of no meaning whatsoever to people a mere 50 miles away.
First of all, numbnuts, it started in Indonesia. Indonesia is a "country" composed of a shit load of tiny islands. There is, in fact, no electricity, no running water in the pipes, and nowhere to run, where the tsunamis hit. Oh, yeah, and they friggin traveled (the tsunamis) to AFRICA. I know it sounds hard to believe for someone who doesn't know how to use a map to find out what mountain range he lives on, but AFRICA is one hell of a lot further than 50 miles away from Indonesia.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Yeah, no kidding. I tried not to reply in glenns thread but I just had to yell at andy. I wish I hadnt...

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
no, it's not, because it's simple to move someplace where there's still electricity, still drinking water in the pipes, where money still has value. This is just a minor, localized problem, of no meaning whatsoever to people a mere 50 miles away
The above quote (by Andy in another thread but about this event) expresses, in my opinion, the attitude of a loser, a bigtime loser. It must be, in my guess, a lonely and miserable life you would lead with an attitude like this. The Tsunamis reportedly were spread across thousands of miles and estimates are now that 15,000 may have died (still going up). This is something that affects (note affects not effects) lots of people who were not even close to the event. Those people will express a variety of emotions over this, and many will do what they can to lend assistance in some way. Many will travel to the areas most badly effected to lend physical assistance, others will donate goods or cash, and others will just pray, some will do all three. Some, the smallest bunch probably, will just say it had no affect on them or had no meaning. I have my opinion of those who would think the last, but I don't have to express it here; let it just suffice for me to say that it is a very low opinion at that.

As for the rest of us, with more normally inclined minds, please do what you can to help out. Likely that would be making a donation and saying a prayer. I don't really think that prayers work, but I'll say one nonetheless. I know that donations help, and will be making one within the week or two to an international type aide organization in the name of the Tsunami and earthquake victims.

Best regards,
Glenn B

1 - 12 of 12 Posts