Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the cost diff from buying new and reloading old figure in supplies and time and equip isnt it cheaper to buy new

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Depends.
Once the equipment is paid for, it's cheaper. Even buying new brass each time, it's about 50-60% the cost of buying factory ammo, if you buy in lots of 1,000 (as compared to lots of 1,000 factory rounds).

The time thing depends on the person, if you don't like reloading, it probably isn't worth it. If you like reloading as a hobby, then forget about the time involved and chalk it up to leisure.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
IF u can FIND decent reloading gear, the price is usually 1/4 of retail, and it's hard to screw the stuff up, actually. E Bay prices are often ridiculously high, on pretty much everything, tho.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Depends largely on caliber as well, due to bulk ammo prices. The .30 carbine, .454 Casull, .460 Rowland, etc would be much cheaper to reload; the 7.62x39, 8mm mauser, etc, probably wouldn't.

If you're wanting "premium" ammo in calibers you reload, you can do it without a lot of extra cost; in the "bought" calibers, the difference between mil-spec ammo and premium ammo, would be greater.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
If you want to experiment with "obsolete" or "wildcat" cartridges the savings are quite substantial. For example, I load .38-55, a box of 20 factory rds cost $32.00 in this area and 1000 rds of .38-55 will cost me $170.00. Ground line 50 boxes of 20 reloads for the same price as 5 1/2 boxes of factory ammo!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
just remember, you are talking about two different reloading presses, one for pistol/rifle and one for shotgun, so your initial investment will be a bit higher.

Deals can be had, check garage sales, and bulletin boards at shooting ranges.

:devil:

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Actually if you buy something like an RCBS Rockchucker, you can use both pistol, rifle & shotgun dies on the same press. At the start reloading on a single stage press is slow, but you don't rush quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RELOADING

I got into reloading to save money. What i have found is i don't save any money but i shoot a lot more for the same money. I have come to enjoy reloading.

The least expensive new equipment by far is lee. some don't like it, and i admit some of it i don't care for but most of it works.

I believe a shotgun reloader new is $35.oo

Go to www.leeprecision.com

The general rule of reloading is if you shoot more than 200 rounds per year you would be better off reloading.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
not true at all, even if your overtime AINT worth anything. Most haven't got enough spare time to SHOOT,much less reload. Stick to 9mm, .45, 30 AK, 223, 308, and you can do it all, and do it so cheaply that you are wasting your time reloading, unless you drop $600 on a Dillon 650 progressive, and then another several hundred on all the different die setups.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Geeez, I guess there is no use in buying a weird caliber than .356 TSW or .460 Rowland or anything stupid like that then. erika/gunkid no says reloading is a waste of time!

:laugh01: :laugh01: :laugh01: :laugh01: :laugh01:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
General rule of thumb to follow is if it is a NATO or Combloc caliber, it's cheaper to buy loaded ammo. If it's a civvie round , it's worth reloading.

I load for quite a few calibers all the way up to 90mm. The only military stuff I load is DD stuff and some .308 rounds that are custom for specific purposes. I also load a bit of 9mm subsonic for the suppressed stuff but there is commercially available ammo for that as well.

Mike

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Garand said:
Actually if you buy something like an RCBS Rockchucker, you can use both pistol, rifle & shotgun dies on the same press. At the start reloading on a single stage press is slow, but you don't rush quality.
See, I just learned something about my reloading press...

I always thought you needed a specific press for shotgun shells and never looked into it beyond that.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
When I bought my press in 1986, RCBS was making a big thing at the time about their shotgun dies fitting on their RS3, RS5 , etc. Shotgun ammo is so cheap, unless your shooting skeet etc, it doesn't seem worth the time.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
pasquot said:
What i have found is i don't save any money but i shoot a lot more for the same money. I have come to enjoy reloading.
My thoughts exactly! I just get to shoot more for the sdame amount of money! I also find that reloading is spare time that I couldn't get away to the range, anyway, so it doesn't reduce the amount of time i spend shooting. It does increase time I'm working with firearms instead of wasting time doing something I enjoy less.

KJ

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
You'd be ahead to dryfire and work on your draw instead, but then lames aint concerned with real performance, anyway. They'd rather sit around with their boxes full of ammo, like midas admiring his gold, and FANTASIZE about what all they can "achieve" with their guns.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
andy said:
You'd be ahead to dryfire and work on your draw instead, but then lames aint concerned with real performance, anyway. They'd rather sit around with their boxes full of ammo, like midas admiring his gold, and FANTASIZE about what all they can "achieve" with their guns.
I'm confused. Is that better or worse than sitting on a little bunk staring at the bars on your prison cell and fantasizing about freedom better or worse than your above assumption? Since you've done both (and still seem to be dreaming about your ability to this day), which one is worse?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Actually, my ammo is for shooting. You seem to be the only one thinking about sitting around boxes of ammo.

Sitting around boxes of ammo, would be kinda like sitting around boxes of nails. Ammo is just part of a tool. Nothing mystical, nothing magical, there is a cost, but I don't consider ammo to be "valuable", not in the sense you are trying to make it out to be.

You'd also be ahead to work on your distance shooting, but instead you will simply limit all your practice to pistol distances.

You like to think we're doing these things. I load ammo to shoot.

But, whatever you need to beleive to help you sleep at night...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts