Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,i'm planning on getting a new shotgun this spring.i want to use it for turkeys mainly ,but geese as well if the oppurtunity knocks.i'll pick the brand later.right now i am interested in your feed back on 10ga. or 12ga. 3.5.i know the 12ga.may be more versatile due to being able to chamber so many different loads in 2.75,3,&3.5in.that said i like the 10ga.because its different.recoil on either should be managable in that i enjoy shooting both hot-rodded .45-70's and .458mags.

·
Registered
397 Posts
12. It'll do anything a 10 will do and more with the 3 1/2 inch loads. If you need shells on a Sunday afternoon, the local Wally World (or anyplace that sells shells) has them. If you reload, the component selection is far greater. I have a 10 (and several 12's and 20's) and rarely use the 10 for much of anything except shooting it once in a while so it doesn't feel neglected.

DC

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well,45 colt,i just picked up a mossberg 12 3.5 pump friday night.
as well as a couple of boxes of shells.(& some excedrin.lol!)hopefully this weekend i'll get to try the thing.
thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Last year I bought a Rem 870 super mag (3 1/2) and I killed a turkey at 53 steps shooting winchester ammo. It has had 1 3 1/2 shell through it, But it has probally had 300+ 2 3/4 rounds through it. You can buy a box of 25 for under 3 bucks at the wal-mart. Never have had a 10, but have never wanted one. I would say go with a 12 because of the versitility. Happy huntin'

"ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD ONE"
NICK

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I've seen a couple of 10s at various gun shows. My shoulder gave me a twinge when I thought about shooting something like that. Heck, even shooting 12 gauge buckshoot or slugs for fun isn't really all that much fun to me any more.

Wish I could remember exactly what it was, but I swear I saw some monster shotgun at a gunshow a while back that was even larger than a 10 gauge. Downright scary looking beast.....

·
Registered
397 Posts
41mag said:
well,45 colt,i just picked up a mossberg 12 3.5 pump friday night.
as well as a couple of boxes of shells.(& some excedrin.lol!)hopefully this weekend i'll get to try the thing.
thanks
Good choice. Remember, you don't HAVE to shoot 3 1/2" shells just cuz you can. My best turkey load is put up in 2 3/4" shells. 1 1/2 ounces of #2's, 4 DE of powder. No complaints except from the turkey.

DC

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a Mossberg 835 as well as a Winchester Super X2 Magnum. I love shooting those big shells at those "sky carp". plus the 3 1/2" 00 Buck is always nice, and seems to get the job done! I pretty much just use the 12's for ducks/geese/deer I go for the 20 for the grouse and woodcock..it's much lighter and easier to carry through the swamps!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gobble gobble!!!
kenster>i never understood shooting woodcock.i mean i know that they are supposed to be REAL hard to hit . but the ones i've seen were a little thin.they make cornish game hens look like turkeys!!
lol!
how many for a pot pie?

U

·
0 Posts
I've never seen the need for a 3.5 in shell let alone a 10 gauge. My Remington Sportsman is chambered for 2 3/4 only and has been very efficient on everything from doves to deer. With shotguns it's more a matter of matching pellet size barrel length and choke for the type of game. I know several people who bought 10s for deer hunting (they wanted more knock down power) loaded them up with 3.5 00 buck and can't hit anything. Save your shoulder get the 12.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Unregistered said:
I've never seen the need for a 3.5 in shell let alone a 10 gauge. My Remington Sportsman is chambered for 2 3/4 only and has been very efficient on everything from doves to deer. With shotguns it's more a matter of matching pellet size barrel length and choke for the type of game. I know several people who bought 10s for deer hunting (they wanted more knock down power) loaded them up with 3.5 00 buck and can't hit anything. Save your shoulder get the 12.
Apparently I wasn't logged in when I made this post.

·
Registered
84 Posts
41mag said:
gobble gobble!!!
kenster>i never understood shooting woodcock.i mean i know that they are supposed to be REAL hard to hit . but the ones i've seen were a little thin.they make cornish game hens look like turkeys!!
lol!
how many for a pot pie?
A little thin is an understatement! They can be a bit tough to hit since they have the uncanny abilty to flush while you are stuck in the thickest, swampest part of the woods. A full grown bird you are talking about 6-8 ounces. With the limit of 3, it does take quite a few to get a good meals worth. Plus they are dark meat like duck and goose so not on everyones favorite list. Luckily we get a few grouse to mix in the pile. We are always looking for another "fool" to wonder around the swamps with us in Gladwin..If you're ever in the mood..

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I've taken quite a few more turkeys

with a 223 than with a shotgun. 53 yds aint much of a shot with a rifle, slowfire. Some guys just like doing things the hard way.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Why would YOU have any need for a shotgun? It makes way too much noise that could alert a sentury guard or scare off valuable game that is your life line for surivial. The shotgun is not able to engage targets out to the extreme distances that a skilled killer like you is capaible of engaging. Also I don't know of any 22lr converson kit for any make of shotgun.

Nick

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
That's right. I haven't bothered to own

a splattergun since 1978. I made my first suppressors in 1982. Where were you, hmm?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Andy?Taking a turkey w/a rifle isn't LEGAL in some places.:dunce:
The poop is still in the pot!:wavey:
Oh,& 'shooter?In 1978 I was in the 3rd grade. :nuts:

·
Registered
605 Posts
I don't know why I respond but I feel complelled.

I find you highly vulger and insulting. If you have nothing better to do then degrade everyone around you, well then have at it.

I could care less how much you know, you are really a sorry excuse for a man.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts