Arms Locker banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached are some pics I took on Sat while I was playing at the range.

The man that built this muzzle loader is 78 years old and still builds custom rifles and muzzle loaders the old way mostly by hand. His Name is Vic Swindlehurst and he produces 4-5 long guns per year, not for sale to the general public but only to close friends. I had to do some pretty good selling just to be able to get these pics. The men who have these rifles have evolved
so far beyond what ever I could hope to dream as a hunter and shooter. I am just content to sit at my bench and just watch them shoot on a lot of my range trips.

This .50 cal gives groups of 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 at 100 yards with a 300 grn cast in a sabot using a smokless charge. I dont know what the powder is but I did see chrony numbers and MV is 2100 or so average.

The guys told me that Mr Swindlehurst has been ill as of late and is not doing well. This might be the last long gun made by him, I sure hope not!

Enough blabbering from me here are the pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Nice looking firearm.

I have to admit that I have never seen a BP rifle builder who specialized in modern BP guns. After seeing your pics it dawned on me that I should have realized it before. Just makes sense.

Looks like he knows what he's doing to boot.

Those old timer always amaze me too........so much to learn and only 70 or 80 years to learn it...........

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I could be mistaken but it looks the trigger group is from a Ruger 10-22????????

RIKA

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RIKA said:
I could be mistaken but it looks the trigger group is from a Ruger 10-22????????

RIKA
It could be a copy but it looks nothing like what I have on my 10/22 That trigger is quite crappy I plan on a replacement very soon. Even with a sub par trigger that little semi auto gives me 3/4" or less at 50 yards wth hv hollow points from most ammo companies but loves the federal blue box and shoots cci stingers almost as good. If I could get any freeking time on the weekends I would use it to put the shit to the rabbits and squrrels "up in here" I also have a skunk around the house that has a taste for cat food I do not think he will enjoy one of those holler points when I draw down on that bugger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts