Arms Locker banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was talking to a friend about BP hunting with traditional rifles and he gave a tip that I'm wondering about. After loading the rifle before going out, he removes the nipple and adds a couple grains of powder under the nipple. He says that it gives more combustion from the cap and reduces the possibility of a misfire. This brings a couple questions...1) Is this safe or is he about to launch his nipple behind him and 2) if this is safe, what type of powder would you recommend? I'm thinking that pistol or flintlock powder would work better than the rifle powder used in the main charge. Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I am guessing that adding powder under the nipple would do no harm but I have never done that myself. Have never had a FTF with my Lyman Hawken percussion rifle either. Your friend is probably just being extra careful.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I wouldn't do it, but if you did, a finer grain than for the primary charge would probably work best, something like FFFFg. But it sounds like a great way to foul the hell out of your flash hole (restrict comments on that to the BP thread in the joke forum. . .:dgrin: ).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have only heard of this to clear a mis fire,this would slow down lock time if done as part of normal loading,a clear flash channel is what you want,couldnt get enuff extra powder in here to make any discernable difference, ymmv imho

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Imagine that andy thinking someone else is an idot.

Would he be the pot or the kettle here?

·
Registered
90 Posts
?????

Just for those who Don't shoot flintlocks;
Ever see a flint rifle go "off" in a movie?
Klatch,,,,flash,,,,pow!, good cinema, very bad locktime!
a small amount of powder in the pan,with a clear channel
thru the touch hole,to the charge,and you would be VERY hard pressed to tell the difference from a caplock,wish to slow it down? Just fill the pan and the channel with powder!Its MUCH SLOWER, than the miasma reaching the charge un hindered. 0 sorry Andy don't wish to tax your mensa level mind,
Lets think "flame front" instead of miasma @ 2200 fps now how long would that take to travel the 1/4 inch to the 1/8 inch touch hole to the powder charge? Get it now?
Generally when working out your Maximum load/accuracy load.in a muzzle loader a 5 grain increment is pretty standard as smaller than 5 grains won't
register a difference , I truly doubt the ability of Anyone to put 5 grains in a nipple!There fore no discernable difference by adding powder,in this fashion,
save to slow lock time,OR set off a charge that is damp or oil contaminated
Get it now Andy?
Grow Up Andy! At least go see just how much bullseye you can force into
the cartridge of your choice,I'm sure most everyone here would enjoy your report! Go shoot a dog,whilst dreaming of backshooting real men,abuse a woman, pray to your God for a real set of "Nads"!,for there is NO-ONE here
that doesn't realize you've one thats this(*) big,and the other is REAL small !
Perhaps "You" cant tell from this post, the little regard I hold for you,I could care less,but I would have to work at it,and you're not worthy of the effort!
go 'way ya bore me,
Robert Garner
Occupied Georgia

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Robert, so what you're saying is that doing this will reduce locktime, but if there is a chance that the powder is wet or contaminated gives it a better chance of ignition? I admit that I only play around with my BP a little bit, and although I clean mine thouroughly after each outing, occasionaly I do have misfires. (.50 CVA Bobcat, bought for $50 - not the greatest but well worth the money for an extra couple weeks of deer hunting and fun)
My original question was regarding safety, and it appears that this is a safe practice, and will improve reliablity, at a cost of slower ignition, which is a reasonable trade IMO. Thanks for your explanations.

·
Registered
90 Posts
TUNA!
Well you wont hurt nothin,but its use is for clearin a dud! Talk to a bow hunter,ask about jumping the string!Mostly they dont "jump" but duck! So if you wish to add a handicap, just learn to holda foot low so the buck of a lifetime will drop into your trajectory!
Really,once you've shot enuff to learn the variables(powder,patch,to use wad or not,
lube) you will be proficient enuff that mis or hang fires will no longer be a concern!
I dont know but will bet the CVA is as good a shooter as any bp rifle you will be surprised at the abilities it will show. It is a learning experience that is worth th time/expense,,mostly tho Enjoy!
Almost forgot do a google for Dutch Schultz his treatise is well worth the minor expense!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I do it to "Clear a dud " as worded above,, everytime I've done it, there is one thing I notice, when you shoot, it is a delayed shot every time, I would never do it.

Sounds like pop..........boom

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I seem to recall a little dingus from Dixie GW that you filled with 4F powder, that was designed to fill the nipple and flash-hole. Load the piece, then press this thing (Looked like a small powder-measure with a spring-loaded tip) onto the nip, before capping. I went for the small pistol primer adaptor for my Hawken instead, put in place of the nipple, you unscrew it, pop in a spp, screw the cap back on, and you get 100% ignition every time... pretty much Zero chance of a quick second shot though.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Kpdpipes said:
I seem to recall a little dingus from Dixie GW that you filled with 4F powder, that was designed to fill the nipple and flash-hole.
That sounds a whole lot like a pan primer that flintlock shooters use. Not period correct, but very handy.

When I was 12 or 13 my Mom bought me a CVA Kentucky caplock rifle. That damn thing only fired when it felt like it. Eventually, I learned the "fill the nipple" trick. It worked, to a degree.

Then I met an "old timer" and he told me 2 things about my little trick;

1) Fire can jump faster than it can burn.
2) It stresses the nipple and the threads.

I did it for several years with no ill affects. Then I switched to flintlocks and haven't thought much about it since.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Kpdpipes said:
It was very similar to the pan primer flinter, but it was sized a little bigger to slip over the nipple.
I don't doubt that they make one Kpdpipes. I just haven't seen one specifically for caplocks.

Then again, I don't deal a whole lot with caplocks these days. If it weren't for my cap and ball pistols I'd have nothing to do with them.

Athough, I have given serious consideration to having a caplock Hawkens rifle made. Maybe I need to shift my focus from Colonial times to the Mountain Man era........

Ah hell, I'm no mountain man.

So the struggle continues.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts