Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start loading cast bullets instead of FMJ for my Glock 22 and my Springfield 1911. I am going to buy an after market barrel for both guns and would appreciate some opinions about after market barrels. Bar-Sto, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat or other. Which is the best quality ? Thanks Norm

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
Over the last 15 years I purchased a couple of Ed Brown drop in barrels and was very happy with them.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
IMO Bar-Sto barrels are best quality. I have one in my Browning Hi-Power.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I also have had good luck qith Bar-Sto barrels. Be careful though, Glock says shooting lead unjacketed bullets in their pistols violates the warranty.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Can anyone give an explanation of why lead bullets would void the warranty except that they are handloads?

RIKA

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
THE PRECHAMBERING DETONATION PHENOMENA (AKA KABOOM) APPEARS TO OCCUR MORE OFTEN WHEN LEAD BULLETS ARE USED RIKA. sorry to shout. caplocks were on accidentally.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
The Glock people are gun shy (pun intended) of non-factory loads in their pistols. They had a series of disastrous explosions in their .40 S&W models, although none in other models. They came to the conclusion that handloading and use of lead bullets were the causes. I talked to a gunsmith that works for Glock, and he told me that besides handloads, Wolf ammunition was not recommended either, due to the steel cases. I did a little checking and found that warranties are void with every single gun manufacturer if handloads are used, not just Glock. You can't really blame them. Too many people "experimenting" without sufficient knowledge. I saw a friend's S&W .357 Magnum self-destruct while he was doing a rapid fire course with a friends handloads. I was just behind him and I heard a bang,then a "pop" then a LOUD bang, which was the sound of his barrel and cylinder coming apart. His friend had failed to put powder in the middle cartridge which resulted in the bullet being lodged in the barrel. The next shot wrecked his gun. Luckily he wasn't hurt. I don't reload and won't use reloads. I know that the vast majority of people are meticulous in reloading and I also know factory loads can go wrong, too. It's just that of the many incidents I've seen of blow-up's, or misfires, hangfires, or just plain wild inaccuracy, the people involved were using handloads. I would just say if you want to handload, use YOUR own handloads.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Bar-sto usually provides their pistol barrels with what they call a "match chamber." Their match chamber is very tight.

Bar-sto will provide your barrel with a normal chamber when asked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts