Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kahr PM, so why settle for having half as much power, paying 2x as much for practice ammo, hmm? Pointless.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Ho hum, another recycled post.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
There may not be, I don't know all guns. But there is at least one locked-breech .380 that's a bunch smaller and lighter.

It's one of those trade-offs that have to be decided on. The Kahr is larger and heavier, but it's also substantially more powerful and effective; and it's still very small and light for it's caliber and power level.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
yes, the Keltec locker is a lot smaller and lighter

but unless you "need" to wear it in a bra, under a pony tail, or in a wristband rig, its size and wt are of no matter, as vs the far more powerful Kahr 9mm, which COULD very well mean life or death. Now IF you reload for that locked breech 380, and get its power up over 300 ftlbs, the diff would be quite a bit less, typical 380 ammo is 160 ft lbs in that short of a barrel, when you actually weigh the bullets, and chrono the loads. It AINT much, the same power level as a Stinger from a .22 rifle barrel. Yes, I DO know that you can't put a rifle in your pocket. Do YOU know that I aint TALKING about rifles, per se? I'm talking about the EFFECT of the bullet strike, not the gun that fired it. In other words, if you wouldn't feel comforted holding a .22 rifle, u should feel a LOT less comforted when holding a 380 with factory ammo. The .22 rifle is a LOT easier to place swift head shots, than is the 380 pistol, and it's also more likely to pierce the skull.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy says, "but unless you "need" to wear it in a bra, under a pony tail, or in a wristband rig,"

Unless you are speaking from experience, please don't try to speak for us women. You know absolutely nothing about the subject. Under the ponytail or in the bra. What a laugh.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
andy said:
....typical 380 ammo is 160 ft lbs in that short of a barrel, when you actually weigh the bullets, and chrono the loads. It AINT much, the same power level as a Stinger from a .22 rifle barrel...

...Yes, I DO know that you can't put a rifle in your pocket. Do YOU know that I aint TALKING about rifles, per se? I'm talking about the EFFECT of the bullet strike, not the gun that fired it. In other words, if you wouldn't feel comforted holding a .22 rifle, u should feel a LOT less comforted when holding a 380 with factory ammo. The .22 rifle is a LOT easier to place swift head shots, than is the 380 pistol, and it's also more likely to pierce the skull.

I agree about the power; as I said, "The Kahr is larger and heavier, but it's also substantially more powerful and effective; and it's still very small and light for it's caliber and power level" The Kahr is more powerful than the .380, just as the .380 is more powerful than the 21A. It's a relative, progressive decision to be made. I'm not knocking any of the three, though I will say that I disagree about the lack of difference between the .22 and the .380, as I've seen with my own eyes 40-grain hi-velocity Federal copper-plated solids from the 21A literally bounce off the sheet metal of a washing machine at no more than 20 feet. No way a .380 would do that. For that matter, the same ammo from a 5 1/2" 22 pistol didn't bounce off; every one penetrated, and some penetrated the much heavier metal wash tub inside. Only difference was the gun's barrel length; the ammo was from the same box.

I also agree that a .380 is probably no more terminally "effective" than a .22 rifle. I didn't bring up rifles or .22's; I was just pointing out the facts (and they are facts) that the .380 is smaller and lighter, and the Kahr is more powerful. Surely that's not debatable...?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
You know,I MAY or mAY NOT have CCW'd an old clone of the Browning "Baby" in .22 insid e a watchcap at one time or another. Don't have it anymore,but a Keltec oR maybe a Kahr would work. Truth be told though,I prefer Kahr's newer "large"pistols,(4 inch models) with either the steel or polymer frames&MMC sights.On the subject of working pocket rockets,any one here remember the late and lamented Firestar(standars frame,not Plus)in 9mm?That had some weight to it for a jideout,but I never had any trouble toting it. Fun to shoot,and the one that i had in my posessionseemed to have no feeding or +P induced malfunctions. Stout little brute.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The Kel-Tec .380 is the most outstanding .380, blowback or lockbreached, ever made.

My sample has the hard chrome slide and new style extractor. I've fired over 300 rounds without any failures. Shoots right on the money. I have shot Winchester ball, Federal JHP, Remington jhp, Corbon jhp, and CCI Blazer in it.

It holds as much ammo as a Walther PPK but conceals like a .25 auto. An outstanding backup gun or deep concealment. So far ahead of a pos cut up Star 9mm it's just no contest.

I have no need for a butcherd spanish pos gun. I can carry a Glock or Kimber compact in either 9mm, .357 sig, or .40 S&W as the main gun.

Ain't any pos cut up junker will hold a candle to any of those I have mentioned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts