Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with your pack on the gastank handlebars. 2 on both front and back of a tall "buddyrest" on the back of the bike, 2 in the saddlebag positoin. 33 gallons times 70 miles a gallon on pavement or some pasture-desert terrain, or 30miles a gallon off road. Say, 50mpg average. 1500 miles, without finding a SINGLE lawnmower, boat motor, weedeater, combine, tractor, car, etc with some gas in it , or in cans nearby? Not anywhere in the lower 48 states, count on that. A guy who's LOOKING is going to find such extra gas every few hundred miles, man. There's MILLIONS of motorcycles, so NOPLACE in the lower 48 states can't be reached, rather easily, in a day or two, from towns or cities.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I'm not a bike rider but it seems like those 6 cans would seriously affect the bike's balance. How much weight can your bike carry? You need to provide more details.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
The really neat thing that those cans do is that they wind up bursting open when the bike goes down at high speed because of the unstable load. When they burst, the sparks from the metal on asphalt ignite the gas. Once again someone bites it. I am beginning to think someone has a wish to be like Kenny in that silly cartoon called Southpark, the kid who died in every episode but came back in the next one.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Anyone besides me carry in their web gear an extra 20 round 5.56mm mag full of M196 tracer ammo?

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
no comment!

this post/response is VERY entertaining.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
with your pack on the gastank handlebars. 2 on both front and back of a tall "buddyrest" on the back of the bike, 2 in the saddlebag positoin. 33 gallons times 70 miles a gallon on pavement or some pasture-desert terrain, or 30miles a gallon off road. Say, 50mpg average. 1500 miles, without finding a SINGLE lawnmower, boat motor, weedeater, combine, tractor, car, etc with some gas in it , or in cans nearby? Not anywhere in the lower 48 states, count on that. A guy who's LOOKING is going to find such extra gas every few hundred miles, man. There's MILLIONS of motorcycles, so NOPLACE in the lower 48 states can't be reached, rather easily, in a day or two, from towns or cities.
A smart biker would load his gas and bike into the back of a truck and drive as far as the truck would go. Here you are talking about driving all over the country when you've yelled for years on how there'll be a sniper behind every rock and shrub........

Once you are out of the city, a 4x4 truck, with a few exceptions, can go pretty much any place a motorcycle can go, more so when compared to a street bike.

The truck is seriously quieter and has a LOT more range.

Does it get better mileage? No, but it can carry 10x the fuel while also carrying litterally a ton of supplies and extra people. You can also get a truck in diesel where it and it's fuel won't go off like a bomb when hit with a tracer.

The truck can also carry bikes and motorcycles on it.

You can also run a truck on woodgas with a bit of modification.

A truck also has some protection from small arms and the weather. It's fantasy to think that just because you 'feel' fast and agile on an exposed motorcycle that you cannot be hit. I can also take out a motorcycle rider with some extra snare wire strung across the road; you can't do that against a truck.

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
Come on guys, lets not ruin a good fantasy...................................

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Come on Garand, you have to admit, the explosion would be awefully pretty.... 30 gallons of gasoline + 1 tracer round can be rather pyrotechnic, especially when it's this flaming, screaming ball of fire barreling down the road at 70mph.

Just think of it as a man made 'road comet'.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
mrostov said:
Anyone besides me carry in their web gear an extra 20 round 5.56mm mag full of M196 tracer ammo?
Actually I do! My 'bandelero' has 3 30 round mags and two 20s. The 30 is a US military 30 round mag pouch and the two 20s are single pouches made by Assault Systems years ago. Very lightweight and I can throw it right over my shoulder quick as I grab my AR. The AR has a 20 round pouch on the butstock to! It also has a fluted 20 inch match barrel with a flat top and match rear sight. I shoot NRA high power matches with this setup.

One of the 20s does have tracers. I could be 600 yards away and pop that bike with all those gas cans. Talk about a zipo!

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
During my career, I have had some experience with various types of liquid explosives, they produce far more entertaining results than gasoline. But I'm sure a "sishka kid" would be very entertaining also!

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
just a hint, as i read 'bandlero'. if you get surplus m855/ss109 ammo

pull the white thread, you then have a field expediant mag pouch [2] per sleeve, total [8] 30 rd.mags .

just thought i'd share, as it makes a quick /handy grab rifle/ammo and go.

the old hands know about the 20 rounders fitting the m193 bandleros

but the gov't m855 is made out of excess matieral blahblaha blaha blaha

sorry! :eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
Now ley's see, 30 gallons of gasoline weighs 240 lbs. Add 200 + pounds for the weight of a grown man with equipment and you are putting in the neigborhood of 450 to 500 lbs. on the bike frame. I know the NVA and Viet Cong used bikes to carry heavy loads, but they were specially strengthened steel bikes, not the lightweight alloy's in use today. They also were not ridden, they were pushed. I'm no expert, but I think you would wreck your typical mountain bike in short order subjecting it to a load like that.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Even the frame on a nice Harley? What would Steve McQueen say about that!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts