Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

ALICE Clip Replacements

5K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  BigEd 
#1 ·
Over the years I've seen, tried and read about different fixes for broke or wore out LCE clips for attaching GI ammo pouches, butt-packs etc.,. to the GI pistol belt.

A few days ago when in the auto section at Wally World I noticed some 12" velcro cable ties. They are about a 1/2" wide and have a wider tab with a slot at one end to serve as a buckle of sorts and are $3.50 per 8-pack.

I originally bought these for securing things like rolled up rain ponchos but thought they might serve as a replacement or reinforcement for the LCE clips on my gear.

So far they have worked to replace the clips on my canteen covers and have them as additions to the clips on my buttpack and pistol mag pouch.

They take a little work to get them in the slots on the canteen covers because the lip slots are narrow but once in they work well. I attached a canteen to my belt with them and tried to pull it off; had to stop before I ripped the web attachment point off the cover.

I like the way these are easy to remove and replace vs things like 550 cord and nylon zip-ties. Plus if you wrap them with the softer side out they won't creat "hot -spots" like the good old metal clips can.

Anyone else discover these things and/or any other alternative use for them?

See less See more
#5 ·
That is an excellent idea! I always thought those alice clips weren't too good at holding gear, but its all I had. Using paracord in addition wasnt much better.

Thanks!

#8 ·
andy said:
Alice Gear SUCKS. Cheapskates favor it, cause they haven't had any experience with REAL gear.
Actually, Alice gear, when properly fitted with a frame is quite good. There's a coleman pack frame that fits the large alice packs very good, and provides a reasonable hip belt. (No, I don't remember which one it is)

If you know what you're doing, you can load up an alice pack (with a frame) and comfortably carry a lot of gear.

I'm curious as to what you believe constitutes real gear though. Customarily, when one makes a statement like that, they should give examples of what they are talking about.

Like: "Alice gear is terrible, especially if you compare it to a Kirafu pack, or even the CFP-90's that you can buy today."

That way people have an idea of why you would say that.

:devil:

#9 ·
I'm not too fond of the pack when it's loaded down heavy. It's realy too small for my build.

What andy might not understand is I'm referring to the LCE attachment clips.

I also went out and purchased another 8 pack of these. The brand is CargoLoc(TM) and they are labeled as 12" Magic Ties, product #32494.

#11 ·
I like the 12"-18" zip ties, they are cheap, durable and have multiple uses in the field. If you are building a structure that you expect to be able to withstand months of use, they can come in very handy.

Reactions: BigEd
#14 ·
I have about 2 dozen malice clips in two sizes that work really well with Molle. I also have a bunch of the zip strips (don't know the official name) that are basically a flat plastic strip the width of a molle insert with a barb on either end to allow you to thread them, but makes it difficult to remove them. They work 100% and are private skippy proof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.