Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's mandatory to have, or die.

One of the sources comes from the SAS survival guide.
Boil hickory root chunks/slivers, remove them, boil out the liquid and remove salt crystals.

Another comes from another survival guide, don't remember the name. Recommends eating fish eyes.

Any other sources ? (besides raw blood. Too many parasites.)

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Unless a person lived near the coast, I don't think there is any place in the US where there is a large quantity of salt inland. A good store of salt would be essential to life as well as for preserving meat.

Thanks for a good post about something that we all take for granted.

RIKA

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
thanks kent! i thought i read of people boiling wood, but didn't recall what type! i had a book once that a bunch college kids in the late 60's-early70's
went all over the country interviewing the 'old-timers' and recording as much oral history from them as they could, with diagrams for things like building a spring house,log cabin,moonshine still,spinning wool,ect. i think they published a series of them [i couldn't remember the name of the books ,if i had to] they were really neat books!

cool post,thanks.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
brass hammer said:
thanks kent! i thought i read of people boiling wood, but didn't recall what type! i had a book once that a bunch college kids in the late 60's-early70's
went all over the country interviewing the 'old-timers' and recording as much oral history from them as they could, with diagrams for things like building a spring house,log cabin,moonshine still,spinning wool,ect. i think they published a series of them [i couldn't remember the name of the books ,if i had to] they were really neat books!

cool post,thanks.
I think you're talking about the Foxfire series.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...ld-author=ELIOT WIGGINTON/102-1735263-0001736

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
YES! my man,wily! that is what i was talkin' about!

when i saw your pic i almost went to check on my jacket[i thought you stole-it! :rofl: ]

Reactions: Hasher

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Hasher! Thats some good info there. This is going to help. Salt is easily overlooked when building caches/BOBs. Looks like most will have a deposit somewhere relatively nearby. Those living in these areas have a good barter item. This is a keeper.

Just keep in mind that the crystals from hickory root are black.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Is that why you live in the mountains Melvin? You figure out the name of them yet?

Hint: Intit=ials are SJ.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Raider said:
Unless a person lived near the coast, I don't think there is any place in the US where there is a large quantity of salt inland. A good store of salt would be essential to life as well as for preserving meat.

Thanks for a good post about something that we all take for granted.

RIKA
Bonnieville Salt Flats, Wendover, UT.

My gofaster buddies and I go there twice to three times a year. Thousands and thousands of acres of salt.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Excellent post, I didn't realize that I was a little SW of a large deposit of evaporated salt. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts