Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the show is doing a 'redemption' season, where some of the losers get to try again. The winners seem to think that there will be an "all star" season, of 5 winners. I heard that the wood around the location in patagonia wont float, even the bamboo was solid. I said why not use the camera case, rainsuit, tarps, backpack, gaiters as pontoons and raft on down the coast, looking for a better spot than the dropoff. Build it in 2 days, max. You'll need it anyway for servicing crab and fish traps and the netting. Stuff them with forced-dry debris, sew as needed, tape the seams, and there you go. Then 8 4' logs, would suffice. 2 cross ties, 2 lengthise holding the pontoons, 2 outriggers, 2 notched diagonal braces. Could build it in 2 days, along with the paddle. Then a too brushy, no beach, cliff site, or one lacking in resources, need not end your sojourn early.

Most of the 44 entrants didn't even know to use a raised bed with heated rocks, and none used a Dakota firepit and Siberian fire lay to reduce the firewood needed and to reduce the work needed to get it burned. None have known to make a big mortar and pestle, so as to juice the kelp, the only reliable carb source on Vancouver, at that time of year. none have caught enough fish to be able to bait in a bear to a tree platform-blind, so that they could arrow it, using one of Chief Aj's slingbows. If you take 4 of your 6 arrows as 4-tined fishing arrows, you can make 24 fishhooks out of 3 of those heads. Take 8 treblehooks for catching gulls and ducks. straighten out the one single hook and use it as a sewing needle. Render down the bear fat, and keep it cool in water, so that it helps you eat all the dried fish! :) Have to use the 5 qt skillet to boil off seawater all day, every day, so as to recover enough salt to be able to preserve that fatty bear meat. :) The game and fish offer no carbs, the kelp offer very little calories, so you have to juice it. It's not much return, but you gotta have the carbs. need the bear fat, too, since the fish have almost none.

Could spray one of your 2 sets of clothes with water proofing, inside, where nobody sees it, and use them as pontoons, too. No rules against it, but the producers are dicks. They ont let you take even one set of proper clothing for the area (ie, sealskin parka and pants, with fur lining and wolverine fur hood) If you could dress properly for this show, there'd be MUCH less motive for wasting time and calories on firewood and fancy shelter. when you dont use your head enough, you use your ass in vain, you'll still lose.

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
Frankly I'm not that enthusiastic about a 5th season happening. They miss the concept of survival by being made to spend their time in the dropped off location. In a real event, if you can't find food in one location you attempt to find it in a new location. This show is nothing more than "who will get bored first" and ring out. In season 04, teams were allowed only 10 items for each team, rather than previous seasons where they were allowed 10 items each. In season 04 the laziest, most obnoxious team won, which blew me away. So much for teamwork. Pick an area and a time of year that one can forage off. I know that North Vancouver Island is a sight more livable in the spring & summer than it is in the fall season.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Never seen the show, and assuming all the above is true, sounds like there may not be much reason to watch it.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Alone? Yeah, right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts