Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
safeties really block the sear, hammer, or firing pin, and which only block the trigger movment. The latter is not really a safety at all, since you shouldn't have your finger inside the guard anyway, unless firing. So it's pure bs to say that deactivating the grip safety on a 1911 makes the gun "less safe". The grip safety was only added to the design to help keep calvaryme from shooting their own horse in the neck. in combat, horses rear up a lot, you grab the saddle horn with your gun hand. In order to hang on, you have to partially "let slip" your grip on the pistol, which will then engage the grip safety.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The grip safety is a secondary safety. People deactivate it because sometimes they can't depress it in times of stress or if they have small hands. I'll keep mine active, thank you.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Colt 1911s today have firing pin locks which ONLY activate if the trigger is pulled and thus the grip safety, preventing the trigger from being pulled, prevents the firing pin lock for being disenguaged.

Add to that the Kimber grip safety in their newest models DOES bear directly on the firing pin lock.

So, yes, amazing how at least one person here don't know which safeties really block the sear, hammer, or firing pin, and which only block the trigger movment.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Ok, some strong disagreement without the name calling, good so far...

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i don't know what your point is ! friend!

the 'real cavarly[s.p?] was PRETTY much out of the sence when the 1911
CAME ALONG! although, i do like your post on the horses !

as i know [1] old man with an a MCleanann[s.p] oridginal 1873 'U.S.GOVT.
in his 'tack shed' .

I have 'drooled' over it twice , [$400] he justs laughs and sez' when he dies to ask his wife about his 'mule saddle' it's got the leggin's, every thing!

great post there DAVIS!

[deleted] thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts