Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught wind of the M118LR load available from American Ballistics when I was browsing the latest topics over at the Snipers Paradise forums.

The shooters over there are saying these rounds are turning factory barreled LTRs, PSSs, and Loaded M1As into 3/8 MOA and tighter guns. On top of that, one shooter commented that the rounds required 2 MOA less elevation at 600 yards than did BH 175gr loads, and on a chronograph showed an even tighter extreme deviation. Some guy even said he was punching 2" at 600.

Manufacturer states bullet weight to be 175gr, BC to be .490, and velocity to be 2625 fps.

They're also being sold for $350 per 500 round case ($100 less than BH).

For comparatively cheap factory loaded match ammo those using this round have made some pretty big claims. Anyone here played with it? Whats the story?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I would like to know the story as well. BTW 2" at 600yds works out to .333 at 100yds. Thats phenomenal accuracy.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
rika if you and your weapon shoots a 2" group at 600 yrds, and you extrpolate back to 100 yrds. your group size will be approx. 0.062 over nominal bullet diameter of .308 or your one hole group will be 0.370. thats why the world record group at 600 yrds at 1.173" seems so phenominal to me extrapolate it back to 100 yrs it would have to be 0.036 over nominal bullet diameter that would leave you with a hole only 0.344. with my rifles i have had groups close to 2" but there few and fare between and for some one to say they have groups consistantly or averaging 2" at 600 yrds i do believe they are smoking something i can't get where i live. now if there taking a 100 yrd or 200 yrd group and extrapolating it to 600 yrds, there fudging just a bit. there aren't very many people who can shoot a 2" 600 yrd group in perfect conditions under any sercomstances no matter what they my wright on the net. i shoot 600 yrds alot and i have had some really lucky and really small groups, but consistantly nope not me, or anyone else. sorry there young lady. but i do love what some people put on the net and call it fact. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
American Ballistics Ammo

Hey guys,
For whatever it's worth I ordered a case and took a few rounds with me when I was training with a local SWAT Sniper Team.
I was shooting a Rem 700 with a Leupold Mark 4 M3 and and other members had AI wit Nightforce optics. All guns were zeroed with Hornady 168gr TAP or 168gr Federal Gold Match.

I ran a few rounds through my Rem 700 and I wasnt even holding 1MOA at 100yards. One of the Team members then ran a few through his AI and his shot was about 2 inches away from point of aim, again at only 100 yards.

We stopped testing the ammo after only abut 20 rounds or so because it was so inaccurate. We had flyers left and right.

I contacted the company and explained the issue and they agreed to a refund. He did say the ammo had tested well at long ranges and that he hadn;t heard of any issues.
The main issue I had was that the ammo was labled M118LR and that in no place did the company state that this ammo is produced by them and proprietery to them. I dont know if they are trying to pass it on as military ammo or what, but it should be more clear. JMO.

R.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
well for whats its worth the military uses m-118 ammo in there sniper weapons systems. it is made to rigorous standards at the lake city arsenal. what is out on the market the last couple of years is ammo that has been re-manufactured using components that were rejected by lake city for one reason or another. the newly re-manufactured ammo has been marketed under the designation of m-118 xm and M118LR. it is of the same quality as the also re-manufactured ammo thats being sold as m-193 xm. all i have been able to find out about these ammo's is that they are factory rejects sold as scrap to the scrap market, to be de-milled then re-claimed as scrap. as you know all of the components are not really scraped as you can buy, powder bullets, and cases, from surplus dealers. it doesn't mean that the components are junk, it only means that the components mite have defects that will cause it to be inaccurate enough not to meet mil-spec standards. mil-spec standards for ammo is really loose when compared to commercial standards. so if the components have a problem meeting mil-spec standards i would think that any ammo produced with it would be good for only practice and defiantly not good enough for competition. the last box of real m-118 that i saw for sale was $30.00 for 20 rounds so you get what you pay for in some cases, but less inn others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've used federal xm193 for years, and outside the military ammo it's great stuff. It;s even accurate at 100 for zeroing and 200 yards shooting at steel plates and I'm shooting it out of a 10.3 inch entry M4. Almost everyone I know shoots with it too. I know its made of so called "reject" per say, but I tell you I wish the American Ballistics ammo I purchased would have worked as well.

And If people are out there making ammo made up of reject part, that fine as long as they work and you're informing people of what they are getting. In this case, when I called he never mentioned used parts. All he FINALLY admitted was that it was proprietary to that company.

R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts