Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a thread about our Men in Iraq carrying an inordintate amount of ammuntion. Flat out, there is no such thing as carrying too much ammunition. When I first went across the pond, my unit was ordered to carry 10 magazines of 20 rounds each. Having learned something, we loaded them 2 rounds light. After a firefight, in which one of our platoon's almost got over run because of lack of ammunition, we were ordered to carry 700 rounds of M-16 ammunition, a one hundred round belt of M-60 ammunition, and either a claymore mine or an 81MM Mortar round, plus four fragmentation grenades. Since our pouches,(the old canvas M-14 ones) could only hold four 20 rounder's, field expedient's were in order. Some chose canvas canteen covers, they hold seven magazines each, and can be attached to the web belt. Others used the bandoleers that the ammunition came in and loaded the magazines into them. I used a claymore mine pouch which held 17 magazines. When I went into Law Enforcement, we were ordered to carry 60 rounds of Ammunition. I liked that.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i can recall[in the dead/buried recesses, of a middle-aged brain] yelling at the top of my lungs 'AMMO MAN UP' [for my pigs] and can recall, threatening
every'leg' humping some thing worse than a ass-kickin' if i found out they were shit-canning the m- 60 ammo

now i'm greatful just to stand and walk/function with this right foot[KARMA]

:wavey:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Weapons platoon leader I believe.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Let's see. For comparison in Korea I was armed with a .30 caliber M2 Carbine and a personal property S&W N frame .357 Magnum.
For the carbine I carried 14 30 round magazines loaded with 28 rounds each and two 15 round magazines fully loaded.
For the .357 Magnum I carried 38 rounds. The number and type of grenades I carried depended on what I was doing.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
brass hammer said:
i can recall[in the dead/buried recesses, of a middle-aged brain] yelling at the top of my lungs 'AMMO MAN UP' [for my pigs] and can recall, threatening
every'leg' humping some thing worse than a ass-kickin' if i found out they were shit-canning the m- 60 ammo

now i'm greatful just to stand and walk/function with this right foot[KARMA]

I assume you also carried more than the 600 rounds normally carried by the pig gunner. I carried 1000 (boy was that heavy). When the shit started I used everyone else's belts first if I could. Kept them from bitching/shitcanning it, and made sure I still had all my ammo. That was one of my big fears, sitting there with this cast iron pig, and no ammo.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
And gunkid wants to carry how much? Was it 60 rounds?

As they say," No man in combat wishes for a smaller gun or less ammo."

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
DJetAce said:
And gunkid wants to carry how much? Was it 60 rounds?

As they say," No man in combat wishes for a smaller gun or less ammo."
NUTTY JOHN posted, on the PN that he was within 150 miles of the DMZ in South Korea, and that he was afraid to be that close to the enemy, even though a truce had been in effect for twenty years.

Our hero -- NOT!

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i was just squad leader[2 guns]
and would hump 400 rds on me,with the gun[some times the spare barrel bag,also] i'm thinking i was down to a [6] man squad for a while ,then a tall skinny black e-4 came and he got the squad,[i was fine with that]

we were understrength all the time.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I recall reading some guy on one of the boards a couple years ago, who planned on carrying 36 magazines post-shtf for his HK 93. That’s the only time I can remember thinking that someone was planning on “too much ammo” on hand; and it wasn’t even so much too-much ammo, as it was the fact that he was specifiying a 180-grain .308 load, in the HK’s steel magazines, so thirty-six loaded magazines seemed a ridiculous thing, weight-wise.

Other end of the spectrum, you get those who think anything more than a spare magazine-full is “kidding yourself”.

I carry one 20 and four 30’s (all loaded two rounds light) for my CAR, and another three 30’s in the trunk when on duty. (Along with three 50-round boxes of subsonics for the .22 unit.) Also one spare 15-rounder for the g19; two spare glock 15’s and two spare glock factory 30’s when on duty.

There are still guys in the dept that carry a revolver and twelve rounds in a belt-slide carrier; and no long gun. While that’s “probably” enough for anything we’re likely to run into here in BFE Arkansas, I believe in hedging my bets as much as possible.

If in Iraq, I’d be in agreement with carrying a bunch of magazines. 5.56 ammo is light, the GI aluminum mags are light, and in that location and situation, ammo & water have got to take top priority.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Like the relator said "Location, location, location"

In down town LA, or New York, or Montreal or Vancouver, 36 mags for an HK 93 (nice gun, after 25 years I'm still kicking myself for selling mine) sounds reasonable. On the bald ass prairie, where the threat isn't as great maybe 100 rds would suffice? I think that the situation at the time, if the balloon ever went up would dictate how much that you would be required to carry. But I would be prepared for both scenarios.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
John in AR said:
I recall reading some guy on one of the boards a couple years ago, who planned on carrying 36 magazines post-shtf for his HK 93.
Sounds like he watched "Last Man Standing" a few too many times.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I just read what I posted. It was an HK-91 (.308) the guy was talking about, not -93 (.223). I can't imagine carrying 36 loaded steel mags, even if they were .223, much less the .308's he was talking about. That's got to be 50-70 pounds of magazines, I'd guess.

Even if I wanted to carry that much ammo, I suspect I'd carry half that many mags, & the rest in boxes or stripper clips; just to reduce both weight & bulk. Then again, I've never had to make that call, so it's possible I'd change my mind if really in that situation. Who can say, until they've actually 'been there'...

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Those 40 rd mags for the HK 93 were a great piece of kit, I still might want 36 mags in downtown LA!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts