Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
I shot a 3 gun match today, a number of stages had 8" steel disks at 25 yds, 80% of my 1st engagements were 1st rd hits, the rest were taken out with only 1 additional shot required. Thanks to our savior, John Moses Browning and lots of range time!

Registered
Fwiw, I got curious and so tried similar myself this weekend. Using the compact cz-p01, hit nine out of ten at 90 feet in just a hair under 13 seconds. Target wasn't full size, but a reduced C-zone silhouette. On a full size target that tenth shot (shot number 3) may or may not have been a hit; I have no way of knowing. Personally I like the small 12"x20" silhouette instead of a full-size target as it forces a "hit" to be more than what would be just a graze on a full size version.

Fwiw:

Administrator
right now it's too hot for me to do any outdoor range sessions (or desert sessions) so I'm limited to the pistol bays at the local indoor range. I know I need to work on my longer range shooting, which I will do when it cools off again. (if it ever cools off again :cool: )

Registered
right now it's too hot for me to do any outdoor range sessions (or desert sessions) so I'm limited to the pistol bays at the local indoor range. I know I need to work on my longer range shooting, which I will do when it cools off again. (if it ever cools off again :cool: )
Same here. I'm just a little past 60, so almost certainly older (and likely fatter) than you are, so totally feel your pain on the heat this time of year. :confused:

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Unless I get up at vampire hours and drive either 35 or 75 miles one way and get there by Sunrise.
Then try to "beat the heat" it'll be the same here.
Probably go sometime next month. Depending upon how hot and or dry it is.
Odd I've been working on getting acclimated to the heat and it's not bad currently.
But I bet me shooting in just my skivvies and a hat plus the standard PPE would be frowned upon.馃槢

Registered
Did this just for my personal purposes, doing the same drill again, but this time with a PDW-style braced AR pistol. Main reason is that so many times I've heard & read people claim that PCC's and PDW's are pointless if they use the same pistol-caliber ammunition; even going so far as to say that using a micro-braced pistol in a pistol caliber is no different than just putting a sling on your glock.

So that's what this was about - to test what functional advantage ((if any) is gotten by using even a micro-braced PDW-type pistol vs. a normal pistol. And there was definite, measurable advantages in both speed and accuracy; reducing the time by nearly 60%, while getting an 11% improvement in accuracy at the same time. So as far as I can tell, if your use doesn't require concealment, there are real advantages to a braced pistol over a regular pistol.

Registered
BTW, the 40 yards is Confirmed. Someone who was local to the mall and knows the layout personally said that the 40 yard distance from where the kid took the first shot to where the Asshole was is legit. What I was told, First 2 were supported on the Pillar, then he advanced, continuing to fire until the shithead was down.

Registered
Did this just for my personal purposes, doing the same drill again, but this time with a PDW-style braced AR pistol. Main reason is that so many times I've heard & read people claim that PCC's and PDW's are pointless if they use the same pistol-caliber ammunition; even going so far as to say that using a micro-braced pistol in a pistol caliber is no different than just putting a sling on your glock.

So that's what this was about - to test what functional advantage ((if any) is gotten by using even a micro-braced PDW-type pistol vs. a normal pistol. And there was definite, measurable advantages in both speed and accuracy; reducing the time by nearly 60%, while getting an 11% improvement in accuracy at the same time. So as far as I can tell, if your use doesn't require concealment, there are real advantages to a braced pistol over a regular pistol.

Anyone who doesn't understand the advantage is crazy, The young Man at the mall fired his first round(s) braced on the pillar he was next to. Stable means smooth, smooth means Fast.

Registered
I didn't know he had a braced position. That was bound to be helpful and definitely smart on his part; I just hadn't heard it before.

Anyone who doesn't understand the advantage is crazy...
Agree completely. I've over & over had guys on forums doggedly claim the opposite, though. One time it devolved into a poster claiming that a pdw in a pistol caliber was "exactly the same as putting a sling on your G26"; I kid you not. It's idiotic imo, but people vehemently cling to idiotic beliefs all the time.

That was the first time I'd fired that gun in quite a while and I really enjoyed getting it out. It's my truck gun and mostly lives its life chained & padlocked in my truck, so it doesn't get much use. (Which is a very sad thing; it's a great little gun. But it's the best "get-home gun" option I have so it got stuck in that role.) I'd prefer a smaller red dot on it, but picked up that MRO used on ebay several years ago when the newer series of MRO's came out and all the "gotta have it first" guys were upgrading to new ones and selling off their old ones. I like the gun so much that I've considered using another gun like the M1 carbine or something for 'truck gun' use, but the little banshee is concealable if need be, and most other options I have really aren't.

Registered
I didn't know he had a braced position. That was bound to be helpful and definitely smart on his part; I just hadn't heard it before.

Agree completely. I've over & over had guys on forums doggedly claim the opposite, though. One time it devolved into a poster claiming that a pdw in a pistol caliber was "exactly the same as putting a sling on your G26"; I kid you not. It's idiotic imo, but people vehemently cling to idiotic beliefs all the time.

That was the first time I'd fired that gun in quite a while and I really enjoyed getting it out. It's my truck gun and mostly lives its life chained & padlocked in my truck, so it doesn't get much use. (Which is a very sad thing; it's a great little gun. But it's the best "get-home gun" option I have so it got stuck in that role.) I'd prefer a smaller red dot on it, but picked up that MRO used on ebay several years ago when the newer series of MRO's came out and all the "gotta have it first" guys were upgrading to new ones and selling off their old ones. I like the gun so much that I've considered using another gun like the M1 carbine or something for 'truck gun' use, but the little banshee is concealable if need be, and most other options I have really aren't.
As spendy as Carbines have become, I dont know if I'd use one for a Truck Gun anymore.

Registered
Totally get that. My previous truck gun was the M1 carbine that I paid $159 for, and that would likely be what I鈥檇 go back to if using something other than the banshee. But concealability while walking home (if such an unlikely situation were to ever come up) was something I wanted to have the option of. Also wasn鈥檛 joking about the 鈥榗hain & padlock鈥 thing; it has a chain run thru a truck frame member, into the gun鈥檚 ejection port and out the mag well, and padlocked. So while it could be defeated by someone with bolt cutters or hacksaw, a typical smash-&-grab thief would have almost no chance of getting it. That, plus the extremely low crime rate overall in our area puts it (just barely) in my comfort zone.
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Automotive exterior

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
BTW, the 40 yards is Confirmed. Someone who was local to the mall and knows the layout personally said that the 40 yard distance from where the kid took the first shot to where the Asshole was is legit. What I was told, First 2 were supported on the Pillar, then he advanced, continuing to fire until the shithead was down.
Okay, what I intend to do is working up to this are braced at 50yds and two hand standing at 25yds.
First it will be using my Ruger MKII Pistol then my Glock 26 and my Range Officer 1911 .45ACP.
Those are what I have to practice with and the latter two what I carry.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Proactive Shooting

On a slightly separate matter.
Stress/under fire. You are in a relatively open area and innocent people are being shot. That's not stress rising?
Don't know what concerns me more.
The lack of understanding that the gunfire could turn someone's way. Or the apparent lack of concern over others.
Either way if you can get a clear shot at a psychopath like that then take it.

Registered
Fwiw, I got curious and so tried similar myself this weekend. Using the compact cz-p01, hit nine out of ten at 90 feet in just a hair under 13 seconds. Target wasn't full size, but a reduced C-zone silhouette. On a full size target that tenth shot (shot number 3) may or may not have been a hit; I have no way of knowing. Personally I like the small 12"x20" silhouette instead of a full-size target as it forces a "hit" to be more than what would be just a graze on a full size version.

Fwiw:
My favorite CC gun. I only shot it at 25 yards but not difficult at all to get hits in the vitals. I'm going to move back to 30 yards then forty id I ever get time to do it! How did I ever get all this stuff done when was working? New P-01 is a real sweetheart. Very good trigger and new sights out of the box and one more cartridge too.

Registered
Had someone ask me why I used the CZ and not my actual daily-carry gun when first trying this, and had to admit they had a very good point. So re-did it with my edc gun yesterday.

Even though the two guns are very similar (compact 9mm carry-oriented guns with DA/SA actions and decent triggers), the time difference was substantial. As much as I like the CZ, my time with it was almost 50% slower than with the more familiar HK. I don鈥檛 believe the HK is inherently better, more likely just a function of familiarity and increased trigger time with it compared to the CZ.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts