Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
irregardless of what some ninnies "think" about the comparison to people. Animals dont KNOW that they've been shot, so it's EASIER to stop men than animals. Animals are also a LOT more resistant to shock then men are. Again, if a load does a fine job against big dogs, it's HIGHLY likely to be a very good manstopper.

Crybabies just HATE the fact that .45 ball does SO poorly against big dogs. :) Well, the fact is, 45 ball does a poor job against men, too. Lots of guys have just LIED about it, for so many decades

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Unfortunately that is one of the 10 classic errors in the study of terminal ballistics. Bullet prtformance on small animals has very little to do with the performabce of the same bullet on large anomals or humans. To generate useful data you woul need to shoot amimals weighing 150-200 pounds or more. Feral hogs are the best. You may enjoy shooting feral dogs, but you are not doing terminal ballistics research.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Bullet placement is everything. The best bullet in the world won't help if you're one who can't miss fast enough.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Don't know they have been shot? I sure remember at least two deer and several coyotes that swung back trying to bite or see what hit them when I shot.

And then there are whole bunches of cases were people did not even know they had been shot (the said so) yet they were on the ground and looked up and said, "what happened"?

What gunkid said sounds like he just reads this stuff and has no actual experience. But with a bad back I guess that's the best he can do.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Can you provide a link to these tests? who conducted them and how were the test performed?

Hopefully it wasn't just some clown going out and shooting dogs just to see what would happen. (ethics and other issues aside, that would not be anything close to an actual study.)

:devil:

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Animals know when their hurt. Does the expression "lick their wounds" come to mind?. On a patrol we caught some light small arms fire. We all of course, hit the ground and opened up like hell wouldn't have it. A quick check showed everyone okay except for one man in my fire team who got a branch stuck in his leg. I noticed him limping and a fairly large blood stain on his calf. I called for a Medic to come up and after examing the man, (18, he had pimples) he said, you stupid jerk, you've been shot. Sure enough, he had a .30 calibre Carbine bullet in his right calf. Every situation and confrontation is different. To say that X is going to react in such and such a way is not reality. Like I said in a former post, one man takes three rounds of 7.62MM and survives, another get's hit in the arm with a 5.56MM and dies instantly.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
*** If a bullet doesn't expand

in penetrating 10" of **** (lengthwise) it aint going to expand in the torso of a man, either. ******* like you just KEEP spreading such bs, making EXCUSES for all the factory jhp loads that aint worth a CRAP. I thought the same thing, at one time, so I moved up to shooting 60+ lb dogs, and the poor performers on smaller stuff of course just did WORSE on the dogs. You are actully MORE likely to have to shoot a dog than you are a man, since some dogs will NOT back down at the sight of a gun, or the sound of a shot. Such is routinely trained OUT of attack dogs, for instance. We used to do so for the Army's Sentry dogs. we'd put a muzzle on them, removing their only weapon, cut them with switches,fire blanks over their heads as they attacked the guy wearing the padded suit, after "agitating" them, to get them all worked-up. Eventually, NOTHING scared those dogs, at all.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
andy said:
in penetrating 10" of **** (lengthwise) it aint going to expand in the torso of a man, either. Ignoramuses like you just KEEP spreading such bs, making EXCUSES for all the factory jhp loads that aint worth a CRAP. I thought the same thing, at one time, so I moved up to shooting 60+ lb dogs, and the poor performers on smaller stuff of course just did WORSE on the dogs. You are actully MORE likely to have to shoot a dog than you are a man, since some dogs will NOT back down at the sight of a gun, or the sound of a shot. Such is routinely trained OUT of attack dogs, for instance. We used to do so for the Army's Sentry dogs. we'd put a muzzle on them, removing their only weapon, cut them with switches,fire blanks over their heads as they attacked the guy wearing the padded suit, after "agitating" them, to get them all worked-up. Eventually, NOTHING scared those dogs, at all.
They sure as hell scared you. It doesen't take a psycholigist to figure that out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts