Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang it! A few months back I thinned out the milsurps and now they are growing again.

Got another on lay-away.

Found a nice hex-receivered 91/30 made/reworked in 1928. Something about this one I had to have.
Probably because it's so clean as far as finish on wood and metal plus has the bayonet and other goodies.

What gets me is this rifle was made years before the battle of Stalingrad and where they were supposedly short on rifles yet this thing could have never seen combat, as far as I know. Speaks volumes on the efficiency of Soviet logistics of the time. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Those 91/30's are mighty nice and a hex receivered one with good finish is hard to come by. Please let us know how it shoots.

How many Nagants do you have now, Todd.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Yeah, TODD, tell us jealous folk more when ya get it, like what arsenal it came from (probably Tula), any other cartouches/ markings.

1928. . .were the sights still marked in arshens or were they in meters by then?

I've flat out been amazed at how clean and nice a lot of the Mosins I've seen lately have been.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rika- Right now only one, a VKT Finnish M-39, if I don't count this one on lay-away. I really did alot of thinning out of my mlisurp collection.

Magnum- This one was marked in meters IIRC. Don't worry I'll tell you all about it when I get it plus pictures. :dgrin:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Are hex receivers stronger than the tula receivers? or just harder to come by?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I really don't know about being stronger. As for harder to come by, they were for sometime, at least ones in good condition, but some have started to pop up here and there.
If possible I will get another one exactly like this to install one of the repro sniper mount&scope set ups. :dgrin:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Tula isn't a kind of receiver, it's an arsenal in Russia where some of the rifles were made, and is indeed still in business, as I've seen my share of Dragunov rifles from Tula.

The hex receivers are harder to find because they are on older rifles. The receiver was made from hex stock rather than round stock. In later, wartime years, the hex receiver was dropped in favor of round receivers, cutting costs. It's difficult to find good-condition hex receivered Mosins because they were older rifles and pressed into quite a bit of service, as the saying goes "rode hard and put away wet".

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Oh crud. A 91/30 sniper would be soooo cool - even a repro. I want one so bad ... want one so bad ... want one so bad. Am I repeating myself? :D

RIKA :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts