Arms Locker banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 Model Stainless Mod 24 with 4 in barrel and a M1950 with the 6 in barrel. The M1950 is much smoother and more finely finished but the Mod 24 handles better and its action is quite good since I gunsmithed it. Both are fitted with Herrett's Roper style stocks custom fitted to my hand.

I handload both the light target loads and hopped up hotties for hunting. Really prefer the Special for hunting over the 44 Mag although I do have and shoot a Mod 29-2 with the 4 in barrel.

The stainless 24 just feels comfortable on my hip and I have complete confidence in its ability to do the job. Its my favorite rattin' around gun (shared with the Mod 27 4 inch :D ).

So does anybody else like the 44 Spec?

RIKA :)

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Heck yeah!

I have a S&W model 629-4 Stainless Trail Boss with a 3 inch barrel. This gun just LOVES .44 Specials! I was amazed at how well I could shoot with this gun! The first time I fired it, I thought someone was playing a joke on me with that group that printed on the target. I was just firing offhand with it and I normally can't do that good sitting at the bench with a handgun.

I was shooting loads I had made up years ago using Alcan AL-120 powder, but loads using Bullseye seem to work just as well.

And the gun is a real sweetheart with those Specials! I think it would be a handful with the magnums but the Specials seem to be just right for the gun.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:beer: Great! The 44 Special is so under-rated with todays wonderguns that it seems that only old timers and throwbacks like you and I appreciate it. A hard cast 250 Keith bullet behind a good load does anything that you could want from a revolver. Granted that the N frame isn't concealable for most people though I can carry it in my purse if I want to and men can carry it in a hand tote but its mainly a holster gun.

Thank you Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton (and my Dad) for introducing me to the 44 special.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Hey darlin, my Ruger Vaqueros just love the Special. Just because it was introduced in 1907 doesn't mean that it doesn't have its place within limitations.

U

·
0 Posts
I'm just a guest here but I too love the 44 special.
Last winter while down with surgery I shot a lot of 44 sp in my 431 Taurus.
Also cut down some brass and loaded som 44 Russians.
Even in my 3" revolver the shot excelent.
Still the special is my favorite large cal. handgun

Shotgun Red

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
since they don't do anything that a

light, more compact, more controlable lw Commander doesn't do, why bother with the less efficient guns, hmm?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a lw Commander and a Officers Model and carry them. However, its not shtf time yet so I carry the 44 spec or 357 out in the woods and camping because they are just plain fun and feel good on my hip.

Try it. You might like having fun.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Specials are alright. They shoot well in my 7 1/2" SBH, 629 4", 629 DX 6". I don't really like them for anything but plinking and stuff like pin matches. For hunting and SD, I prefer the magnums, in which I also like a hardcast 250-gr. Keith bullet, works as good today as it did for good ol' Elmer.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
you bet

my first was a charter arms bulldog pug with factory 1/2 bob hammer i have not seen an other like it sense it was stolen some 18 years ago. next was 720?rossi s/s i was reloading then and absolutely fell in love with that 5 shooter,left the sig220 alone and packed that as ccw, go figure? have not seen that one in 5 years now but know where it went. i won't pass on another if it comes my way. thanks!

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Any body have any suggestions for 240 LSWC using Unique in .44 Special?

U

·
0 Posts
load for 44

i've never exceeded what hercules prints by more than 3/10ths with unique some times you'll get a little smoke with your 'bang' . watch for leading or the smoke could be vaporized lead. herc says 6gr./246lrn speer says6.3/240 have fun! alot of canadians winter here but can't stay more than 6 months or lose medical???? anyway i'm glad to see them! getting a better tower installed and login here isn't quite right yet. thanks

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
super reloader garnad aint got a manual

,or more likely, lacksthe mathematical skills to extrapolate a load. That'sabout par for what he posts, too. Lame ass critquies, sounds like a little kid. All he's CAPABLE of saying is:"if it's fast,it's not practical'. The reverse is so. If it's NOT fast, it[s pretty much worthless for defense, and the faster, the better, especially for the "presentation" of the gun, so the attacker can SEE it, and stop, before he has to be shot.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
No dipstick, I probably have at least 8 or 10 reloading manuals. I was just curious if anybody had a load that they found exceptionally accurate. DUH!!! By the way, IPSC IS NOT REALITY !!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the soft swaged 240 LSWC I use Speers top load of 6.3gr Unique. For the hard cast Keith 240 SWC I use 7.5gr Unique (this is the load that Skeeter Skelton recommended for years in Shooting Times. The Speer manual recommends 6.9gr Unique for the 250gr bullet and 7.8gr Unique for the 225gr bullet). This is my hunting load and it is extremely accurate. For practice and general use, 6.5gr Unique under the 240 Keith is also very accurate and much easier on the gun.

Lately, I've been using 13gr of 2400 under the 240 Keith and it is not only accurate but much cleaner burning. This is the max load listed in Speer's book.

Hope this helps

Disclaimer: The loads quoted above are safe in my own gun. Always start with the loads recommended in the manuals and work up carefully.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I'll give the 6.5 grains a try next time I reload in a couple of weeks. Thanks.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Back when I used to shoot non jacketed bullets, I tried using Unique and hated it. Looked like I was shooting black powder loads with all the smoke it generated. I gave away all the remaining powder I had left or just lit a match to it. I don't remember which, but I do not use it at all any longer.

Best loads I had for .44 Specials was using Alcan AL-120 powder. But that has long been discontinued. Recently I have tried using Bullseye and gotten excellent results out of a 3 inch barreled S&W 629 Trailboss.

A lot will depend on the barrel length of your gun as to which powders would be most suitable for you. Generally figure on faster powders for shorter barrels. Otherwise you wind up with a pocket flame thrower. :)

Bluedot powder can produce some pretty spectacular fireballs out of a 4 inch barrel!

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I made 2 new loads up, 6.5 grains of Unique and 5.3 grains of Unique. I'll take them out Friday and chrono them and check them for accuracy. Thanks erica.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts