Arms Locker banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a first for me. I have a Leupold Mark IV LR/T M1 scope on my newly purchased .50 BMG. Any opinions @ what yardage I should zero the optics out on that rifle? I am no competition shooter and most of the ammo that I have purchased is army surplus AP, tracer, incindiary etc. Help would be appreciated. Thanks

derek

·
Registered
584 Posts
I assume you are already on paper? Not knowing what the ballistics are of your 50 I would imagine you want to take advantage of its full potential. Find out what the max point blank range is (with a good ballistics program) and put your zero just short of that. I like to test the ballistic program and actually see if 3.5 inches high at 200 yds = bullseye at 250yds, and if bullseye @250 = 6 inches low @300. Your 50 probably has way better ballistics than that I was just giving an example.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
If you have the range for it, probably zero at 500 yards. The iron sites on a BarrettM82A1 have a MINIMUM range of 500 yards.

Realistically, when I site a rifle in, I site it in at the range I expect to do most of my shooting. If you are using a rifle for hunting, you want to know what the vertical kill range is within practical distances and try to site in at the center, knowing the low and high limits of ranges that will work within without compensating.

But for paper punching, you want to site in dead on at the range you will be shooting at, since the goal is to put all the holes on the X if YOU can do it.

BTW, which .50 do you have?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uses for .50 BMG

I won't be using this rifle for any hunting at all. This is a long-range target gun. The average of the shots taken have been between 500 and 800 yards [because that is all the room I have out my back door]. We have been shooting 1 foot square targets. My problem is when I set up at a different location, I use several rounds just walking my shots to the target. The Mark IV scope has a mil-dot reticle but I am still green and getting used to knowing how to adjust the elevation, and estimating range with it. Thanks for the input.

derek

1 - 4 of 4 Posts