Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking seriously about picking up one of these guys. I've not been a real fan of AK variants, but I do like my Valmet and Galils...... The 5.45x39 intrigues me, I guess.

By the way, how in the heck to you pronounce "Vepr", anyway? "Veper", similar to "leper"?

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I try to do at least a little research on something I am interested in buying. And I have NO problem at all admitting that I don't know everything about everything. So I ask......

Yes, I can certainly afford to go out right now and buy one. But I'm in not that much of a hurry that I can't do some checking around first.

As for having time to burn, you are thinking about someone else, apparently.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I knew a coulple of NH shooters that swore by the 7.62x39 variants(20 inch models). They swore by them,and especially liked the rails for the PSO type optics that were in the pipeline at the time.Triggers were in the'not bad"category.Neither one of these two were into the poodle poppers,,and5.45 had not become as available as it is now.If its anything like the 7.62s, and you can find ammo &components,go for it.For a small rifle cartrideg, the 7N6 is ....interesting.I THINK(correct me if wrong)Robinson only offers the 5.45 VEPR II in the K (16 inch)variant, so if thats not a problem for you....

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The 5.45mm is normally fired out of an AK-74 or an AN-94 with a 16" barrel. I'd get the Vepr-k with the muzzlebrake and the folding stock. The Vepr is considered one of the very best AK's available.

The Vepr is essentially a very well made military grade AK-74 with a slight sporter look about it built on a re-inforced light machinegun receiver.

Vepr is pronounced like 'Veper' ala 'leper'. It means 'Wild Boar' in Russian.

There are lots of parts available. Check out these guys:

http://www.gunthings.com/galil.htm
http://www.redstararms.com/
http://www.k-var.com/store.asp

The Red Star aftermarket trigger in an AK is great and everyone who has one loves it.

Most Russian spec ops units use either the 5.45mm AK-74 or the 5.45mm AN-94 and usually with a quick detach mount similar to the one below with either a holographic or a red dot style optic.

http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=207&1=210&3=41

These guys have done some interesting AK work.
http://www.krebscustom.com/

Here's a 5.45mm Vepr that they've tweaked.

http://www.northridgeinc.com/ak47_sks.htm

These guys are selling for $30 an East German AK-74 Mag Set with 4 - 30 rd. Magazines, Cleaning Kit, Magazine Loader, 4 Stripper Clips and a Raindrop Camo Pouch.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
A lot of AK owners have mentioned their love of the Ultimak mount on various forums. It allows red dot scopes and such to be mounted further forward on the gun. I plan to get one for my MAK-90 one of these days.

http://ultimak.com/

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Say, I like that krebscustom model! Might need to take a harder look at that one.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I went to a gun show in Tampa this weekend and didn't come home with a Vepr like I had hoped to. There were several at the show, but all in 7.62x39. None to be had at all in 5.45x39. I have to admit I was surprised to find that the case, and am curious about why that would be. Maybe ammo is scarce? Only found one table with 5.45 ammo on it and it was all Wolf brand. I've heard mixed reviews about Wolf brand ammo, so I didn't buy any of it there. Plus it was more expensive then just getting it shipped to me from Ammoman.com.

Guess I'm going to have to buy one online and have it sent to my FFL guy for a transfer. Guess I'll take a closer look at those krebscustom units before making a decision. I didn't really care much for the stock AK-47 style sights on those guns at the show.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I like that Krebs one myself. Though what I want is a 7.62x39 one as a trainer, may get a ARSENAL one in that and a 5.45x39 made by Krebs.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I like the look of that Krebs unit myself. Just wondering if it is worth nearly twice what the regular Veprs are going for from Robinson Armament.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn! I just got an email from Krebs Custom telling me they have a 12 week turnaround on those rifles. Last time I was on a waiting list for a gun was with DSArms, and that turned into a major SNAFU. Not sure I want to go through something like that again.

Might be going to Plan B.

·
Registered
779 Posts
One word- ARSENAL

Ok more words: If they make one in 5.45x39 get it. To me they are just as good if not better; except have the standard AK sights.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, probably I will order one. They say 12 weeks on the outside to get one. Since the folding stocks are 10 weeks away, and I would prefer one of those, I guess waiting is going to be the name of the game.

And yes, I am getting one in 5.45x39. Matter of fact, I ordered some ammo over the weekend. Need some more ballast to hold my building down in case another hurricane comes by......

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
LOLOL, I could see that happeneing. My house gets blown away, the only thing left is the floor, held down securely by a buttload of ammo. Wonder what they'll think of the stuff on belts still linked up?

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know, but if I were a looter and saw ammunition all over the place, I would start looking over my shoulder........

:madeuce:

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shoot! I registered at ar15.com, but they say I may have to wait up to 48 hours to be approved. So I can't even contact the guy until I can get access to the site.

Thanks for pointing that ad out to me......

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I found an AK74S on Gunsamerica that has a folding stock and a muzzle brake. Also found another source for the Krebs Custom guns, so I sent them an email to see if they have one in stock.

I've got ammo on the way and have never been in the position of having a caliber of ammo laying around that I didn't have a gun to shoot it with. And NO decent gunshows this weekend anywhere close by...... :bawling:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The SAR-2 rifles will come in batches.

The SAR-2 is the Romanian 5.45mm while the SAR-3 was the 5.56mm. The SAR-3 uses a different hammer than the SAR-2 and the aftermarket hammers Century used were too soft, unlike the milspec AK-74 hammers that could be used on the SAR-2 rifles.

I've heard very good things from SAR-2 owners about their rifles.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the guy with the AK74S hasn't responded to my email, nor has the guy on AR15.com. Couple of other feelers I have put out have not been responded to. Business must be good in the gun market for people to ignore purchase inquiries.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts