Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before the rifling"grabs"the bullet & starts to impart rotation?

I concede to a lot of variables but I'd be willing to bet that it's at least a few inches.

·
Registered
163 Posts
G. Bullet could likely explain better than me, but I'll try.
The barrel throat, that section where the rifling starts, has a rather short 'freebore' which is of major bore diamiter with no no rifiling at all. This section can be as short as .005" and often as long as .015" or more.

Now your question sounds as though you're asking if the bullet runs part way down the rifling befor it starts to rotate. A cast bullet loaded too hot will probably do this, a Jacketed bullet however will not, leastwise not without blowing the action also, the bullet jacket is just to tough to do so at reasonable chamber pressures.
Hope this answers your Q.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Do you mean how much of a jump it is until the bullet engages rifling (not necessarily starts rotation right away, but makes contact)? If so, it depends on the seating depth of the round more than anything. A lot of target shooters will seat their bullets out such that the bullet engages the rifling while the round is in the chamber, before firing. But usually there will be at least a few thousandths of an inch to "jump".

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ASPHALT COWBOY said:
Now your question sounds as though you're asking if the bullet runs part way down the rifling befor it starts to rotate.
Yep,that's what I was shooting for.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
To move down the barrel before gripping the rifling, would require the outer surface of the bullet to be stripped away. This can happen with a soft lead bullet, driven at high velocity in a tight twist barrel, but it is very undesirable. The resulting group could be described as improved cylinder or skeet #1. ;)

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
wrong. I"ve seen 1 .5" of rifling in a cut off Ruger .22 autopistol group 1" at 50 ft.
I suggest you go back and take a moment to actually read the question...

Cutting rifling has nothing to do with a bullet not begining to rotate AFTER it has engaged the rifling.

For someone that constantly chides everyone about not being able to read...

seesh.

:devil:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
nothing wrong with what I said, dumbass. If the bullet moved at ALL down 1.5" of rifling, do you "think" dumbass, that it would still be able to print such a group, dumbass?

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Aslan's right. Your wrong. Re-read the question. It's not about accuracy, it's about bullet "jump" before it engages the rifling.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
nothing wrong with what I said, dumbass. If the bullet moved at ALL down 1.5" of rifling, do you "think" dumbass, that it would still be able to print such a group, dumbass?
Ok dokey, let's draw a picture so that bright boy might get a clue...

let's say, just for grins, that the bullet travels one whole bullet length, AFTER engaging the rifling before a spin is imparted on the bullet.

It would still have all that remaining rifling to spin and stablize the bullet.

So, once again, your post had exactly ZERO to do with the question that was actually asked, dumbass.

For a supposedly bright (160 IQ my ass), person, you sure are stupid.

:devil:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts