Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They have to be the hardest damn things to kill.

Some time ago my dad and I were staying at a cabin near merritt; fairly remote. We got there in late december to find a smashed lantern, the table chewed, and random junk strewn about. Turd practically coated the floor. It was very dark in the cabin, and the other lantern was in the loft; We had figured that it was raccoons; normally they make a fuss when they are broken in on, so we thought they were gone. But as i swung the flashlight around, i saw a packrat climbing up the side of the wall, and over the railings into the loft. My dads girlfriend stayed in a different cabin that night, i dont know what she was worried about though.

One of the beds had been completely destroyed; The critter had built a massive nestball in the center out of the stuffing, and dug a sort of basement into the mattress itself. It was amazing the kinds of things we found in there; especially the first 3 pages of "the art of loving".

Anyway, we spent the whole weekend trying to kill it. Once it lodged itself underneath a chest of drawers; my dad stabbed at it with an axe handle, hit it several times to no effect. He also shot it with a red ryder, although that didnt do much. I finally got it on the very last night of our stay; I painted the sights on my pellet rifle white (he only came out at night), put a piece of bacon in the middle of the floor and sat very still. It didnt take long for him to come sniffing at it.

I have to say, i kindof felt bad for him. He was just looking for a place to stay the winter, but if he had we would have had to burn the cabin next spring, it was that bad. He was rediculously cute; Big ears, big eyes, soft fur, big bushy tail. (He was smart too; ive had pet rats and theyre very intelligent.)

Ive got his tail somewhere; for a while it was hanging next to a squirrel tail in my dads MGB.

Anyone else battled a packrat like this? i know it seems sort of pathetic, but this species ability to survive despite all odds always amazes me.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
No rats but I was once forced to kill a cat. The thing came around our trailer up at deer camp and I could not run it off. Poor creature had some kind of skin disease and kept trying to rub up against me and everything else. I finally took a shot at it with the Ruger MK2 and missed. Zoom it was gone. 15 minutes later it was back. I shot again and missed. I know now that my subconscious mind didn't want to kill the cat; thats the reason I missed my shot. I sat down on a chair on the deck and waited for the cat to return. Shot it in the head. First time I had ever seen a head shot with the blood spurting 5 inches into the air. Hated to do it but it had to be done.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I hate to kill anything unless I eat it, but sometimes it's the right thing to do. My wife has a bird and other critter sanctuary on two acres of our property. I have agreed to shoot nothing in her "Snow White" land as long as she buy's me a gun for Christmas. A running joke between us, I could buy 10 and she would say "Oh, that's nice." What they hey, I can go 10 yards to the South and shoot all the squirrels I want. Anyway, I broke our agreement only twice, with a rabid looking Raccoon and on a really nasty, mangy, sore covered fox squirrel. Wasn't the poor things fault, but no way I wanted it breeding in my woods. Popped it with my Ruger 10/22 and burned it. I thought it was better than burying it.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Some fun I had when younger was flushing rats out of their holes with water and bashing them with a baseball bat.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Mabu Khan said:
Some fun I had when younger was flushing rats out of their holes with water and bashing them with a baseball bat.
You will have great fun with gunkid.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, I was kind of disappointed that it had chased the mice out of the cabin; theres whats left of an old piano that someone dragged out of a ghost town. (Amazing the things ive found in those places, once an old telegraph key.) No keys and no bench, so the mice are the only ones who play it. They nest in there and run up and down the cords at night. Its quite charming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do have lots of fun to as a young mama. This when my gramps let me kill mouses he caught live in traps. We put em in bucket of water and stirred a lot as they tried to swim. If I stirred to slow them mouses tried to crawl up the stick so I stirred fast I didnt need no nest in my hair. They swam and swam until they drown sometimes it tokk a long time for that to happen First thing I remember I ever kill (besides maybe a roach). I got me some mouses now as pets - maybe to make up for what I done with my grandpa but lot of mouses I got that is not pets get fed to other animals I have... Kind of fun to remember about that with my gramps that was long ago.

Love Big Mama J

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
yes, coyote! when we were kids,dad would load the family up, and would drive to oklahoma, to vist grandma and grandpa [his folks] they had about a 1/2 mile drive way leading to the ranch, and as soon as dad turned into the drive-way, my brother and me would generally get off at least a bottle rocket
a piece out the window[before dad could reach around and 'pop' us up side the head, usually me][i thought i'd share, just to set the mood][ha!]

any-way it was an old ranch, with alot of stone/rock out-buildings[the chicken coop was stone] and me and a sister were in the tack shed messing around with the stuff and i open an old chest of drawers the second [1from the top] had a bunch of torn/ratty paper/cloth[me being the inqusitive type ]
i start pulling /moving it around with my hand... and out jumps the biggest
fuckin' rat you'll ever lay eyes on! well sis starts screamin'[and yes ,i kinda recoiled] the rat is runnin'around[he's fat, and thumps/plops when he lands from jumpin' around, and escapes,i was trying to hit him with some thing[i don't remember what]...well, after sister comes back in the shed[with grandma] i open the other [3] drawers, [1] was half full, the other two were completly full of her chicken feed[probably a 50lb sacks worth]

grandma sez' oh,lordy! thats where all my chickens feed has been going!

well, she produced an old rusty rat trap, and i set it in the drawer half-full of feed.

as the dawn was breakin' the next day my sister is yellin'/wakin' me up that she heard the rat in the trap, well, i'm armed with a hatchet for round #2

and yank open the drawer with this big fuckin' rat draggin' this trap strapped
on his ass, and i whack him a few times, [1] dead chicken-feed pinching
rat!

my sister[ha!] still has the picture she took of me and my 'kill' [you can tell,i wasn't fully awake] and laughs at me when ever she talks about that picture
i was about 10 years old,i think!

:wavey:

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Coyote, the only thing not cute about Deer mice these days is the Hanta Virus that they spread. It can kill you real quickly if you get infected.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
'copy that' lawrence! i didn't like running/dropping off mobile homes up to the 'hinterlands' of new mexico, for that very reason!

for me! that was an odd state, i found nothing 'enchanting' about it, especially!
50 miles from blacktop, although i wouldn't trade the experiance[from up there]for nothing!

:wavey:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
brilliant! I think everyone has pest stories of some kind...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts