Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about building a G3 or a Cetme just as a fun project to do. I enjoyed building the FALs, and thought I'd try something else.

The FAL is an easy build, given the use of the locking shoulder for head spacing. How does the HK / Cetme head space? is it similar, or will it require a lot more work?

Just wondering

Thanks.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Yes, what would you like to know? I'm working on a PSG1 clone now.

The HK head spaces on the bolt to carrier index. Basically, flip the gun over, look in the mag well, you'll see the bolt and carrier in the closed position. There is a small gap between the back of the bolt and the leading edge of the carrier. Get a feeler gauge set and measure that gap. It is correct on the feeler gauge that sticks just slightly but will slide all the way to the key. It is headspaced correctly if you get a measurement of .020-.005 inch.

You'll need to have a press, welding equipment and I recommend some patience. The HK's are easy to build but take some time.

Mike

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So how is the head spacing actually adjusted - with the FAL it was simply a matter of getting the proper sized locking shoulder...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
You can adjust it somewhat with + or - 2 rollers but mainly, the headspace is fixed and the barrel needs to be pressed in or out for the adjustment.

Mike

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, makes sense. Definately need the press. Hmm... ok may have to re-think project until after I get a press.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Honestly, your best bet if you've never done it before is to send the barrel, trunnion and bolt and carrier assembly to someone who can do it proficiently. I recommend Mike Klos or AWC. Both companies have experience doing this.

Mike

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
223 fan said:
Why would anybody even want to OWN one of those clunkers, much less put any work into it?
Because a good one is an excellent weapon - far more useful than your shorty CAR with the 10in barrel. Too bad you have no experience with one.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
One of my HK clones is a 1000 yard shooter Tard. And by 1000 yard shooter, I mean, I've made 99% hits upper chest on silouettes. It's suppressed and very, very fast. The cycle time is faster than most AR's. You may call it a clunker but to the real shooters out here, it's a work of art.

Mike

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all that had something constructive or useful to contriubute. The fact that GK dislikes the idea is another vote in it's favor...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hard Rock was 100% correct about the need of a press and the close tolerances that H&K is well known for. I would see what local gunsmiths charge for this service if you don't want to buy a press right off the bat. But once you shoot a properly built 91 or varient you are pretty much hooked. Now if you ever get the chance to shoot the famed PSG1 it is nothing but a user friendly dream and then some, but I am ruined on high quality H&k stuff and that means my opinion is biased.
But I do admit the AR stuff is pretty fun to shoot and waste ammo with, just not as well made or accurate as the H&K stuff.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I actually have a Colt Hbar that is more accurate than my 93... It weighs about a pound more but it's a sub half MOA gun. I agree with you on the PSG1. I love mine although I got rid of the stock scope and put a Leupold M3 on it.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts