Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take A Peek

i was poking around the net.. doing some searching and research.. and i found these things... anyone got any opinions on this particular model of pistol or ones like it? anyone got any input on buck n ball loads in one of these, or shotloads? kinda curious to hear what your thoughts would be for this pistol as a recreational shooter, a modern day fighter, and an emergency arm, as well as a snakegun (2 legged and no legged), etc.
thankyou for your thoughts and your time.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Urban Hillbilly said:
Take A Peek

i was poking around the net.. doing some searching and research.. and i found these things... anyone got any opinions on this particular model of pistol or ones like it? anyone got any input on buck n ball loads in one of these, or shotloads? kinda curious to hear what your thoughts would be for this pistol as a recreational shooter, a modern day fighter, and an emergency arm, as well as a snakegun (2 legged and no legged), etc.
thankyou for your thoughts and your time.
VERY nice piece, i've always loved the Captured ramrods on these..that said, it's smoothbore and not even a hammer-notch sight..it'll be fun, most muzzle-stuffers are, but dont expec ttoo much accuracy.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I do like the screw eye on the but of the grip, Best way I've found to load and carry cap'n ball pistola.

I got this one 50, with a 10" snout, I put 40 grns of fffg down the hole and pack that ball tight, that is one wild load, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for self def. or snake, I have killed alot of snakes where I go and never had a shotgun with me. I think it shoots a lot like a 1911 with only one bullet.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Interesting concept but I like a cap 'n ball pistol better.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I like it, I've always had an affection for muzzleloading pistols. Sight(s) would be a nice kicker, but it still just has that...something...that looks good.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Not too shabby, but .69 (I guess you really shoot somewhere around .67's?) caliber roundballs could be a pain in the ass to find if you dont' have a mold.

A front sight would be nice. That would be easy enough to solder on if you wanted.

I've seen other products from this company, they work.....the finish on them is a little haphazard. A couple hours with a rasp, some sand paper and a nice stain does wonders.

As for shooting shot through them.......any smoothbore pistol that you shoot shot out of just remember one thing;

It spreads the shot out FAST. Think about what you consider short range, then halve it. That's probably the effective range.

IMHO they are a good deal for the money as long as you charge them light and aren't expecting more than they are offering.

Make sense?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
As for ammo, 16ga slugs should work. Then again, finding 16ga slugs can be a pain in the neck, too. May as well get the mold they offer as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i actually ended up buying one of those pistols.. i solved the ammo problem by ordering 100 balls for it right off the bat, a bag mold and a ladle as well. i have the pistol in hand now.. and it looks nice to me. this is my first muzzle loader, and the big oversized grip just feels nice in my hand. the finish is reasonable, better than i expected but not as nice as id hoped,.. if that makes any sense.

i do think that a bead site upfront would be REALLY nice, but i notice when pointing it that there is a screw head at the rear that may work for a crude general site. soldering on a bead up front is definately in the future!! that or have a regular old bead shotgun site installed on the barrel.

i appreciate your guys thoughts on it, and all in all, im pretty happy with the pistol. the one thing im alittle disappointed in though is i have to drill the flash hole myself under the nipple.. 1/8" hole, i guess they didnt know it wasnt done but they sent me a letter and email explaining it. soooooooooo will see how it goes. ill drill it or have it drilled and test the bugger out. if nothing else.. i think itll make a really nice wallhanger. my next buy will be a Ruger Old Army....

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Urban Hillbilly said:
well i actually ended up buying one of those pistols.. i solved the ammo problem by ordering 100 balls for it right off the bat, a bag mold and a ladle as well. i have the pistol in hand now.. and it looks nice to me. this is my first muzzle loader, and the big oversized grip just feels nice in my hand. the finish is reasonable, better than i expected but not as nice as id hoped,.. if that makes any sense.

i do think that a bead site upfront would be REALLY nice, but i notice when pointing it that there is a screw head at the rear that may work for a crude general site. soldering on a bead up front is definately in the future!! that or have a regular old bead shotgun site installed on the barrel.

i appreciate your guys thoughts on it, and all in all, im pretty happy with the pistol. the one thing im alittle disappointed in though is i have to drill the flash hole myself under the nipple.. 1/8" hole, i guess they didnt know it wasnt done but they sent me a letter and email explaining it. soooooooooo will see how it goes. ill drill it or have it drilled and test the bugger out. if nothing else.. i think itll make a really nice wallhanger. my next buy will be a Ruger Old Army....

By not having th flash hole drilled, it can be sent to sytates like mine that consider Modern BP Repros to be Firearms in and of themselves.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Urban Hillbilly said:
ill drill it or have it drilled and test the bugger out.
Drilling a touch hole is not a big deal.

Just make sure that it's centered in the pan (left/right) and sits about an 1/8 of an inch above the bottom of the pan. You don't want it at the very bottom and you don't want it so high that the frizen (actually called the hammer) doesn't cover it.

Some people drill them too low. What you end up with then is a fuse. Fire can jump faster than it can burn.....and fire jumps UP.

I'd go with a 1/16th inch hole.

If you really want fast ignition you can put a Chambers White Lightening touch hole liner in it......but that's a little more complicated. Not much, but some.

Enjoy man! There's no other shooting quite like flintlock shooting....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts