Arms Locker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few ideas making gear using nylon webbing (firewood carrier, modify vest, sheath, etc. ), but stiching it is a bitch. Been thinking about one of those hand held sewing machines, but don't know if they are strong enough.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
If you are serious, you may want to look into an industrial machine.

For onesy twosey projects, lay it all out, then take it to a shoe repair shop. Most of them will be able to handle the stitching no problem for fairly cheap, as long as it is ready to do when you give it to them. If it still needs fitting and shaping, they may be less willing or more expensive to deal with.

I used a shoe repair place for some gear I had work done on.

:devil:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. :)

Looks time consuming, but the awl looks like a good idea. Beats poking thru with a needle and pliers.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Kent

If you want "I could if I wanted to" talk to JD.

If you want to chat with someone that does a fine job of making and modifying his field gear you need to check out some of Rostovs post located here http://teufelhund.proboards36.com/index.cgi?board=tools

You will find many good pictures and detailed post of some intresting kit, put together by someone that uses it in the field.

Teuf,

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Teuf

I checked Mrostovs post there earlier, when Rika popsted the link. He does OUTSTANDING work. I am going to modify my kukri sheath that way. I just hope it comes out as good as his did.

This seems to be a universal weak link when it comes to kukri sheaths. Wonder why they are trash?

I have some ideas of my own I will try out while I am home for a while.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
That awl kicks ass, thanks.

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Thanks erika, I never considered it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts