Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a guy tell me that the .44 Special version spit out "spaghettis' of rotted wood, back out of the ENTRANCE hole, when he shot a stump. Anyone know why they quit offering them? I'd guess that they were illegal under the new "armor-piercing" HG ammo definition. It USED to say that as long as a bullet was not made of iron, steel, brass, bronze, etc, it was legal. NOW it says that if it penetrates a Threat Level II vest, civilians can't have it, handgun ammo, that is. I've read that Olympic Arms INSISTING on selling a dozen CAR-15 pistols, chambered for .30 AK, is why the steel cored 30 ak ammo got banned.

The percursor for the PMC tubulars was a STEEL CORED, copper jacketed rd in 9mm, used by the Feds at Waco. It's quite AP, acting like a miniature "hole saw". It's called "cyclone' ammo. SOF wrote it up, back in 92 or so.

·
Registered
627 Posts
PMCs got canned because nobody would buy them at the inflated prices.

That and they never really performed that well.
They should have picked a better alloy.

I did a write up of several of the all copper and steel "cutter" rounds on Evan Marshalls site a while back...I'll have to dig it out.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I"d go with a "non lead solder" version, most likely. With a very signifcant modification, about which I'm saying nothing. :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 921
§ 921. Definitions

(17)
(A) The term “ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm.
(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.
(C) The term “armor piercing ammunition” does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Attorney General finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Attorney General finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.

It doesn't say anything about penetration of vests being part of the classification. It is simply the makeup of the projectile that makes it armor piercing..
FYI. the 5.7X28mm bullet FN's lead free that uses their jacketed aluminum core hollow point bullet does penetrate level II body armor. it is not classified as armor piercing..

·
Registered
675 Posts
I know we have talked about it before but that FN 5.7x28 bullet is just wicked.
I love mine,.. just don't shoot it as much as I'd like to... very little recoil in comparison to the 9mm's, 40, and 45 cals... the 3/4 inch bullet ends up sideways within a couple inches of penetration... which means that it will tear up something a bit... not to mention, a 20 rd mag...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts