Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i haven't got my upper from jt yet but i was looking for my ar lowers. well i've just got to much gun junk, can't seam find them i know there out there somewhere, but where is the operative part of the question. so i ordered a couple of lowers from essential arms in Louisiana on Monday they came in today. i went and got them. well from what i can tell for $77.00 a piece there a good buy. the finish is first rate, the machine work on them is top of the line they are mil. spec. from what i can tell, no machine or tooling marks. there not bushmasters or colt, but most likely there made in the same foundry as the colt or all the others out there. I'll post a pic when i get the chance, i found my camera, or i could use my wifes new Nikon i guess. my wife purchased this slr type of digital 35mm film camera. oh while i was writing this i was told to use my camera as hers was off limits, seams the last time i used her camera i broke it, so i lost my privileges to use her new one. oh boo hoo. oh well what goes around comes around i guess.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well received my upper on the 24th just in time for Christmas and as usual its just what i ordered. put the lower together that i received on the 23rd, well that took all of 30 minutes. put them together yesterday and they fit like a drum, nice and tight, looks like they were phosphated at the same time, so color matches real well. will shoot it on the 26th and tell y'all how it shoots before its broken in. patched the barrel to clean it out, its smooth as a baby's butt. so far I'm happy with what I've received. :cool:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got to shoot it on the 26th the wind was blowing in gust to about 30 mph. made for interesting shoot at 100 yrds. cameras still MIA so when i find it i owe ya'll some pics. back to the rifle i got about a minutes and quarter that the wind laid down, got 2 quick groups that were under 1". all i had loaded at the time were some 69 gr serrias and not for the new gun. most of the groups were about 3/4" tall and anywhere from 2" to 3" wide. the wind was play hell with the bullets. but acceptable none the less. hopefully i'll get to shoot it again on the 2nd of 2008, my brother wants me to go to a public range with him and some of his friends. mite take my little boy as he said he wants to shoot the new gun. if i can find that damned camera i'll post some pics.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Sounds like they are working out great.

What did you use for an upper?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like they are working out great.

What did you use for an upper?
well biged i got lazy. instead of looking through my parts bin i just ordered a complete rifle kit from J&T. i'm guessing it was around 600.00 with the kriger barrel. i've put J&T kits together before, the thing i really like about getting the kit is that the upper is fully assembled and test fired. i've got enough parts to put a couple of rifles together but i'd have to go through all the parts to find what i need. the barrels and uppers are easy but all the small parts are just in a box with a bunch more parts of this and that, just lazy on my part i guess. i take that back, i got it with a high rise upper, and i don't have one of those.:cool:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
"most of the groups were about 3/4" tall and anywhere from 2" to 3" wide. the wind was play hell with the bullets."

That sounds mighty promising to me. Please let us know what it does when the wind dies down.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i will rika. but i'm just willing to bet, that i'll have a 2 mph wind from my six, and not be able to hit the barn much less the side of it. a couple of years ago i went to a match under some of the most perfect conditions you could ever ask for. god picked that day for my front site to go south. i couldn't keep 3 rounds on the paper. had not very much fun watching some boys shoot some mighty small groups that day, but all i got to do was watch. oh well i think i was being humbled that day. its not humbling just aggravating, to have a $300.00 site decide its time to not do what i got it for. i have used it since and not had problem one with it, go figure, lucky me. :cool:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
since i wrote my last post haven't had the time to even look at it. going to try and look at it this week maybe even shoot it. :cool:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update after my last session shooting the new toy. i was cleaning it and noticed that when the jag went over the gas port hole, the jag kind of skipped, or tried to get stuck. i figured great, got out the bore scope to have a look see. well the gas port hole was broken out and had a round funnel look to it about .125 in diameter. sent it back to j & t to let them have a look. they sent me a new upper and barrel, took about 6 days to get the new one counting my shipping time. not a bad turn around.

well on sunday went out and broke the barrel in, had almost no wind at all. first group after bore sighting the rifle was just over 1/2". i was shooting hornaday's 53 gr. match hp. after about 25 rnds it settled down to about 3/8". so i guess i'm good to go with this rifle. now i need to figure out a load for some 75 gr a-max's. hope it shoots the 75's as well as the 53's. will post a pic when i get a chance.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well got to go shoot this thing today the ar-15. been really busy lately, haven't had time to do much with the guns at all. i started with 21.0 grains of varget worked my way up to 24.5 grains. it seemed to really like the 23.5 gr load. i was shooting 75 gr bergers and 75 gr a-maxs. at 100 yrds groups averaged about .325. i have plans to take it out tomorrow and shoot it on the 300 yrd line. going to go through all of the loads again and see which one it likes at 300 yrds. i'll be surprised if it likes the 23.5 grains. if it doesn't i'll go in and load some hotter and see what happens. hope the winds will lay down for me or 300 yrds is going to be trying on the ego.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts