Arms Locker banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new at AR's, and was hoping to get a better understanding of what I need to do to keep the gas system clean and or how to clean it, materials etc.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Pipe Cleaners, carbon solvent, and a can of Duster does the trick fast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks:) The reason I was asking was mainly because I got a .22 CMMG Converstion kit, and I've heard that you gas tube and buffer tube get pretty gumed up. So you're saying that that stuff would work well for both?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I gummed up my AR gas tube years ago to a point that I had a single shot AR. After solvent, 12" pipe cleaners and canned air, I still had to fire 20 rds of quality 5.56mm though the rifle so it would function properly. That is why I bought a dedicated upper for my AR!

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
That's bs, as is usual from you. Just fire 3-4 rds of 223 thru it, for every 200-300 rds of .22lr,and fouling will NEVER be a problem. I've never had 223 fouling be an issue, except in the bore, for match type shooting. Keep the gun "wet" with WD-40 and it just keeps on shooting. MANY thousands of rds.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
That's bs, as is usual from you. Just fire 3-4 rds of 223 thru it, for every 200-300 rds of .22lr,and fouling will NEVER be a problem. I've never had 223 fouling be an issue, except in the bore, for match type shooting. Keep the gun "wet" with WD-40 and it just keeps on shooting. MANY thousands of rds.
As usual you are wrong, after all gunkid, who was there me or you? About 10 years ago I got some Brit Radway Green 5.56mm, very dirty stuff and designed for the SA 80 NOT the AR. The SA 80 bolt is lighter than the AR. I had over 100 IA's & Stoppages in 200 rds. My gas tube was so plugged that after cleaning the tube with solvent and 12" pipe cleaners, I still had to fire 10 rds of Canadian Ball ammo to get my rifle to fire in the semi auto mode reliably. Why do you think I bought a dedicated .22 upper? I'm not stupid enough to think my AR will be reliable after I use a cheap $200 buck conversion kit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
In the old days, Dad had a big can of R134 refrigerant. A shot of that stuff will freeze carbon up, and a couple of taps will shake it out.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
yep, if you put diesel fuel in a gas engine, it won't run. The ammo of which you speak is well known to be garbage.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If it got that bad, I think I would swap out the $10.00 part before I would waste a bunch of time blasting it with cleaning products and scrubbing tools.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
If it got that bad, I think I would swap out the $10.00 part before I would waste a bunch of time blasting it with cleaning products and scrubbing tools.
Why rebuild a working system when simple cleaning will do? Cleaning an AR's gas tube is not a time consuming or painful operation and it's not as if one has to flood the tube with solvents.

A major weakness of the AR-15 is how extreme the sensitivity of its DI implementation is to any kind of abnormality. If for some reason there are thickly caked on deposits, one is probably doing something wrong or at least unideal somewhere along the line (and if there's corrosion, certainly replace the tube); but, it's certainly normal for the tube to be fouled past its ideal range after a few thousand rounds.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Why rebuild a working system when simple cleaning will do? Cleaning an AR's gas tube is not a time consuming or painful operation and it's not as if one has to flood the tube with solvents.
Because it takes me 30 seconds with a roll pin punch (including beer procurement), and I can afford it.
I'm far too busy to monkey with something I would be removing to clean anyway.

I can hire some high school kid to douche it out for me later if its that important.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cheap Louis Vuitton HandbagsLouis VuittonCheap Louis Vuitton WalletsLouis VuittonCheap Louis Vuitton BagsLouis VuittonLouis Vuitton Men's HandbagsLouis VuittonLouis Vuitton HandbagsLouis Vuittonnp
Louis Vuittonple parts

Can say, air filter and wiper were price's cheapest partses in cars, two checking ofs and replace all easy, oneself completely can begin to replace.

Five.add full your fuel tank

The fuel tank usually doesn't add a full phenomenon many see, doing in fact and like this will make fuel pump within fuel tank the upper part usually can not get fuel cooling and easily have fever to burn Sun.Replace a fuel pump to need quite a few 100 dollars.

Six.wash a car to wax every month once

Excessively washing a car to wax on the contrary will make the bright degree of car paint gradual to deteriorate and suggest that your cleaning once monthly is all right already.

Seven.carefully buy "exceed insurance" and"balance due insurance"

Many car owners usually purchase "exceed insurance" and"balance due insurance" while purchasing car insurance.Exceed insurance, then the insurance quota is higher than the net value of insurance object, if purchase a sedan that is worth of 120,000 dollars, purchase the price as 150,000 dollars, insured the thieves and burglars of 300,000 dollars of amount of money insurance, if take placLouis Vuitton USALouis VuittonLouis Vuitton Women HandbagsLouis VuittonLouis Vuitton WalletsLouis VuittonCheap louis Vuitton BagsLouis Vuitton

·
Registered
54 Posts
Cool thanks The reason I was asking was mainly because I got a .22 CMMG Converstion kit, and I've heard that you gas tube and buffer tube get pretty gumed up. So you're saying that that stuff would work well for both?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts